FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 10.3.4 abruptly quitting

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Peacock
FCP 10.3.4 abruptly quitting
on Aug 18, 2017 at 4:39:03 pm

I have been running a project from a 1st generation Thunderbolt G-RAID drive. I've just learned from G-Tech support that this is not compatible with OS Sierra (10.12.6). I think the issue may be the way the disk is managed under Disk Utility...

The odd thing is that I have been editing the project from this drive for over a week before FCP began to abruptly quit repeatedly (usually about 1 min after launch). Time to offload and send that drive on it's way.

I have managed to launch from a backup copy (having moved the updated project files to that library). Preferences have been deleted. The library and associated files are now on a FW800 drive. FCP continues to quit abruptly (30 seconds up to 3 mins). This project is too large to move onto the internal SSD on this MBP, and in any case, the crash doesn't appear to be related to the particular drive on which it is resident .... or does it?

What would be the next step in trouble-shooting this? Another PRAM reset? (did this recently).

Grant.

Grant Peacock
Washington DC
GPI TV LLC

http://www.gpi.tv

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: FCP 10.3.4 abruptly quitting
on Aug 19, 2017 at 10:37:35 pm

Does it crash while you are doing anything in particular? Could be a corrupt media file somewhere

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
Re: FCP 10.3.4 abruptly quitting
on Aug 20, 2017 at 2:40:18 pm

Agreed. I would start with trashing the render files and deleting prefs on start-up and see what happens.

sw

Scott Witthaus
Owner, 1708 Inc./Editorial
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Grant Peacock
Fault finding : FCP 10.3.4 quitting
on Aug 20, 2017 at 6:17:10 pm

Thanks Steve and Scott.

Over the weekend, I copied all media onto a new drive, and opened up a new library, importing everything over.

I've been able to open the prior library and keep FCP running for long enough to copy the project from the original library to the newly created library. If I then immediately close everything down, restart the computer, and open just the new library, FCP again crashes abruptly.

Based on this outcome, my commonsense guess is that there's something associated with the project file itself that is triggering the problem. I have deleted pref's repeatedly on startup without seeing any difference. Scott, where are the set of render files located? Does removing the single cache file from inside the library take care of that?

Grant.

Grant Peacock
Washington DC
GPI TV LLC

http://www.gpi.tv

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
Re: Fault finding : FCP 10.3.4 quitting
on Aug 21, 2017 at 2:27:32 pm

[Grant Peacock] "Scott, where are the set of render files located?"

File--Delete Generated Event Files--Render Files

Scott Witthaus