FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can FCP X run successfully off a partitioned hard drive?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Purnell
Can FCP X run successfully off a partitioned hard drive?
on Aug 15, 2017 at 12:43:54 am

I am currently still using FCP7 with OS 10.8.5 (yes I know its very outdated) because I am still working on a few projects. I was thinking about partitioning my system drive and putting the latest OS Sierra on that then put FCP X on the partition so I can begin the process of learning it while I wrap up these projects with FCP 7.

First off, how much space does FCP X require to run? I was going to devote about 100-150gb to the partition drive. I read FCP X eats up space really fast because its saving video to the system drive instead of an external drive. I surely wouldn't want that to happen. I don't want any footage saved to the system drive.

Another reason I do not want to go with a full install of Sierra and FCP X (using the entire hard drive), I have a few things that simply will not run or work on later OS versions (I've already looked into this). So in order for me to continue to have access to them, I need to keep them where they are.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
Re: Can FCP X run successfully off a partitioned hard drive?
on Aug 15, 2017 at 10:22:02 am

Yeah it will work fine. Although, if your idea is to put the system on the other partition, there's some debate as in to how advantageous that would be.

Typically, I think the debate is regarding platter based hard drives, so if you are looking into doing it on an SSD the argument is probably a moot point.

Return to posts index

Patrick Donegan
Re: Can FCP X run successfully off a partitioned hard drive?
on Aug 16, 2017 at 2:46:30 am

I have been running my iMac 2011 with a 1 TB drive with 2 patrons for years.
I did it because I still needed / wanted FCP 7 running ... and yes, it is on Mountain Lion.

I have each on a 500 GB partition. I would think that 200 GB would be fine, yet have not done that.

Drive Genius is able to repartition a hard drive on the fly. The key part is that one first does a defrag
on the drive to tighten up all the files before the repartition. This could take awhile.

A carbon copy clone is recommended as a backup. Last week I did another clone of the Mountain Lion partition,
just for fun. I have not used FCP 7 in a few years, so it is just sitting there. I know as soon as I delete it I will get
a call to use FCP7.
I have enuf room with 500 GB on the FCP X partition. Why? Because I put all media on external hard drives.
Sometimes I save output to the internal drive.

So, yes, I have successfully run both systems for a few years now.

FCP X 10.2.3 - user since FCP 1.25
iMac mid 2011, MBA mid 2012
iPhone 4
HVX-200, Shure wireless mic
Miller Solo tripod
Advanta-Jib

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]