FORUMS: list search recent posts

File Management FCP X10.3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
File Management FCP X10.3
on Aug 3, 2017 at 7:11:52 pm

I finally finished my first project in FCPX 10.3. Whew!!! That was fun.

But now as I'm going to start editing a new project I'm wondering if someone can give me the best way of saving the library, events, and projects.

I have all of my footage loaded on an external hard drive. With FCP 7 I would save my project in a FCP project folder, and it would link to my footage stored on the external hard drive. On the external drive I'd store my footage, render files, audio files, images, and motion files.

'd like to do something similar with FCP X. Can I set this up so the library is saved on my mac, along with the events and projects, but all footage and render files are still saved on my external drive? Can someone walk me through this? I'd really be grateful.

Thanks.

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Rag
Re: File Management FCP X10.3
on Aug 4, 2017 at 12:54:32 pm

Hey Greg,
When you import files into FCP X, choose the 'leave files in place' option in the import window. This won't copy your files into the library. All the files are left on your external hard disk. This is what I usually do.

K

Return to posts index

Kevin Rag
on Aug 4, 2017 at 12:55:31 pm

I copy all the footage onto my working drive first though.

K

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Aug 4, 2017 at 4:43:59 pm

[Greg Ball] " best way of saving the library, events, and projects...I have all of my footage loaded on an external hard drive.Can I set this up so the library is saved on my mac, along with the events and projects, but all footage and render files are still saved on my external drive?"

Before longer-term archiving, it is commonly recommended to consolidate your media inside the library. This avoids any possibility of offline media in the future. However this can take a lot of time and space, so I usually don't do that. You can leave your external media in place, back up that media and the library. However if that media is later restored to a drive with a different name or folder structure, you may need to relink the media. FCPX can search all folders on an entire volume to do this, but it can take a while if the volume is huge.

First I'd suggest deleting all your cache, render, optimized and proxy files since those can be easily recreated. To do this, in FCPX select the library then File>Delete Generated Library files.

Even though you can do this with FCPX itself, the inexpensive tool Final Cut Library Manager provides an easy-to-use interface and expedites finding and safely deleting non-essential render and temp files: https://www.arcticwhiteness.com/finalcutlibrarymanager/

Make sure under FCPX preferences that background rendering is turned off, otherwise it will start generating render files again.

If your project uses only a subset of the content in your library and if that's all you want backed up, you can filter on Used Media, copy only those clips to a separate transfer library, then back up only that. If you have very long clips and you only want to back up used *ranges* within those clips, that requires the 3rd party utility Works4 X. There are some limitations to this utility, so make sure you understand these before using it: https://marquisbroadcast.com/worx4-x.html

Within FCPX, click on the library and examine the Inspector. See if it shows any media on unexpected drives. Make sure you know where all that media is so you can back it up along with the library. This includes graphics and audio files.

If you have custom Motion content (ie 3rd party titles, effects, transitions, and generators), you will probably want to save this within the library. That is done by clicking "Modify Settings" in the library inspector and for Motion Content select "In Library", the click Consolidate for Motion content.

There may be other steps, but that's all I can think of right now. It is probably a good idea to do a test restore on a different machine to ensure you have everything backed up.

Note that effects plugins themselves are not saved. So if you use a particular 3rd party commercial effect such as Color Finale or Neat Video, then two years from now restore your library and media to another machine, if that Mac does not have those effects installed, then any clips with those effects will show up with missing components.

For more detailed info on FCPX 10.3.x media management Ripple Training has a good video tutorial on this.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 6, 2017 at 5:06:28 am

[Joe Marler] "If your project uses only a subset of the content in your library and if that's all you want backed up, you can filter on Used Media, copy only those clips to a separate transfer library, then back up only that. If you have very long clips and you only want to back up used *ranges* within those clips, that requires the 3rd party utility Works4 X. There are some limitations to this utility, so make sure you understand these before using it: https://marquisbroadcast.com/worx4-x.html"

What you'd really want to do here is simply highlight the project and choose File>Copy Project to Library>New Library.

After it creates the library, open up the library prefs pane in the inspector and choose to consolidate the media into the library. If you've done the above on the same drive as the original library, then it'll be instantaneous and won't take up any additional drive space. Now you have a nice little self contained library with only the media required to play back the project. You can move it onto any drive for archiving, backing up, sharing, etc. without ever having to worry about relinking. And if you prefer to work with external media you can always consolidate it out of the library package later.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]