FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX : What is the limit for the number of clips in a library ? in an event ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
philippe muller
FCPX : What is the limit for the number of clips in a library ? in an event ?
on Aug 1, 2017 at 9:45:46 pm
Last Edited By philippe muller on Aug 1, 2017 at 10:49:48 pm

Does anybody know if there is a limit for the number of clips in a library or in an event ?

Some days ago I encountered issues. Sometimes the text (clipnames, notes, timecodes...) in the event browser became black and therefore invisible. Furthermore FCPX could crash despite I trashed the preferencies very often.
At this time I used a rather big library with 3500 clips in it.

I shared the media into 5 libraries and the issues seemed to have gone... up to this night while I'm playing and tagging clips in the biggest one of my libraries (2150 clips).
Are 2150 clips still too much ?

Thank you for your knowledges on this point.

Philippe

FCP X.3.4
Mac OS 10.12.6
MacPro late 2013 32 Go RAM 2,7 GHz 12 cores 2xD500
Raid Promise 12 To Pegasus 2R6

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: FCPX : What is the limit for the number of clips in a library ? in an event ?
on Aug 2, 2017 at 2:00:18 am

In theory there's an astronomical limit but in reality it's whatever your workstation can support as dictated by hard drive I/O bandwidth, available RAM, etc.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

philippe muller
Re: FCPX : What is the limit for the number of clips in a library ? in an event ?
on Aug 2, 2017 at 8:30:17 am

Thank you Jeff
So I suppose my workstation is powerful enough for such massing
I must find another reason for my display issue
but I haven't found any testimony for a similar problem (text in black in the event browser)...

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Aug 3, 2017 at 3:27:57 am

I hadn't noticed the specs for your computer in your signature before and they're definitely good enough. I have similar here.

I'd suggest getting the Mac Pro checked out. I had some weird things happening on the screen - UI objects the wrong colour, occasional glitches in the FCPX viewer, and just general slowness - and it turned out one of the graphics cards was failing.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Aug 3, 2017 at 3:50:31 am

There is not a hard limit but a soft limit that depends on machine, IO bandwidth, codec, and whether you are using proxy. I have used about 7,000 clips of H264 1080p and 4k material comprising about 5 terabytes in a single event of one library and it worked mostly OK. Hardware was a top-spec 2015 iMac 27 and 16 TB OWC Thunderbay 4 RAID array. It worked better on an 8TB SSD RAID-0, and the 2017 iMac also helped since it transcodes H264 to proxy about 2x faster than the 2015.

AVCHD can cause significant IO performance problems if the files are copied outside the folder tree and imported "in place".

I can't explain your exact symptoms based strictly on library size. However, make sure you have plenty of free space on all volumes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]