FORUMS: list search recent posts

Masking a slightly moving person and animating the mask

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregor Myller
Masking a slightly moving person and animating the mask
on Jul 30, 2017 at 3:25:51 pm

Hi.

I recorded a standing person in front of a park background. The standing person is giving a talk, thus moving its arms and head (we tried gaffe tape, but it didn't work).

No at the some point something happens in the background I want to replace with another part of the same angle (from another time).

I know about the Draw Mask feature in FCP X and that I can animate that easily by hand, but since that background action takes place for 30s or so, I was looking into automating the mask tracking.

I looked at CoreMelt's SliceX, it did work okay for some seconds, but then lost track.
I also looked at SynthEyes (what piece of software that is looking at just the FEATURES tab after the BLIPS have been computed), but couldn't get my head around how to use trackers to animate the control points of the rotoscoping mask.
I will also look at Fusion, but I might be overwhelmed by it.

Now I will try Motion and its built-in tools and see how well I fare. Sometimes doing it by hand might be easier.

As it is not a time sensitive issue (release in 365 days or so), thus I can easily do it by hand every now and then.

As I use FCP X primarily, I posted it in this sub-forum, but if there is another one I did overlook, please feel free to move it there.

Thanks for any pointers,

Greg

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Masking a slightly moving person and animating the mask
on Jul 30, 2017 at 10:12:57 pm

Motion would do this much easier- with its built-in tracker behavior. In X alone I would recommend:

https://coremelt.com/products/trackx-powered-by-mocha

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Masking a slightly moving person and animating the mask
on Jul 31, 2017 at 3:38:04 pm

Tracking often requires multiple tracks of the same image. You should use the track up until Slice X loses the track, then start a new track. Sometimes going to the end and working backwards helps as well.

Mocha Pro is also a very good tracker (SliceX uses Mocha technology). It does have a learning curve, but since you have a year to learn, you should be fine. ☺

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]