FORUMS: list search recent posts

need advice on adding audio to video clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shea Comfort
need advice on adding audio to video clip
on Jul 25, 2017 at 11:06:24 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have a concert recorded in two, 45 min videos. I brought the two clips into FCPX. I only want finished videos of the individual songs in the concert, not the whole event. So, I then made Keyword/favourites of each song in the concert, which I then made into a series of projects: each song is its' own project. I then exported each of these audio files and mastered it in my DAW. I reimported these files into FCPX. So far, so good.

Now here is the question: Since the audio waveform has changed enough from the extreme mastering, when I try to sync the clip and new audio, FCPX does not put it into the correct alignment. So, I then dropped the new mastered audio below the clip, lowered the volume to 0 dB on the original/pre-mastered audio, and then selected everything and made a new compound clip. This worked. However, when I start to try and edit, it keeps freezing-up the computer and it is impossible to work. I cannot get it to play normally to be able to see/hear what I need to make the edits.

Is this because the compound clip is not a good idea? Does it have to be a synced clip to work?

Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

~Shea

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: need advice on adding audio to video clip
on Jul 25, 2017 at 11:08:55 pm

Freezing up coild be any number of issues- incompatible audio codec, not fast enough hard drives. I would also suggest proxy mode.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Shea Comfort
on Jul 25, 2017 at 11:36:40 pm

Thank you for the response. I will try Proxy mode.

So, just for learning: there should be nothing wrong with adding a second audio track, then making the original clip and the new audio into a compound clip and using that? I figured this was the best way to make sure audio and video edits stayed together. Obviously, I know there is the way to create a synced audio clip, but when this does not work... How does a manually made compound clip (adding an audio track to a video clip and making it a compound clip in the timeline), and an officially made synced audio clip (made in the browser, then dropped to the timeline) differ? Is one way better?

Thank you for any insights.

~Shea

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 26, 2017 at 12:08:02 am

Assuming system specs and codecs are correct- no.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Shea Comfort
on Jul 26, 2017 at 12:51:00 am

Thank you,

Just to be clear on the specs, this is shot on a panasonic HCX 1000, and brought into FCPX (where it is "optimized"). The single added audio file is only AIFF. Before adding the audio file to a single video clip and making it a compound clip, everything plays and is editable without lagging and losing frames. Only when made into a compound clip do things bog down...

Thank you for your help.

~Shea

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]