FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating Luts

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Lukus
Creating Luts
on Jul 24, 2017 at 12:47:12 am

I posted this in color grading and give it got a response so I thought I would post it here..
Probably very simple answer, but was curious...

OK you see a lot of information about downloading luts and applying them, but how can I create a lut to export and share??! I am using Final Cut Pro and I have color finale and I know I am able to create presets to use on other clips just like with Final Cut Pro Board... but are you able to output a lut file from That? because that is all a lut is correct? Just a preset color grading? So I guess how do I get my saved presets into a lut file to be used as a "lut"?
Or I'm I missing something here!?
Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Creating Luts
on Jul 24, 2017 at 2:03:23 am

Yeah you can create your own LUT but keep in mind they are intended to create a specific effect using a specific source camera. Just applying any LUT to any footage will result in wildly different results. It's not so much about making/sharing styles. It's about deriving a certain specific final look from footage originated from a specific camera/source. I.e. applying an ARRI Alexa LUT to a Canon C300 is not going to make it look like footage from an Alexa, instead it will produce unexpected results. Think of a LUT as a translator from source to final look.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 24, 2017 at 8:43:43 am

Color Finale can't export LUTs. I think you could probably copy presets you save in the Finder and share them with other Colour Finale users but that's about the extent of it.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Marco Feil
on Jul 24, 2017 at 3:14:28 pm

You can generate LUTs with LUT Generator. From any app, doesn't matter - if you can import and export PNGs, you can generate a LUT.

Basically you grade your image, apply the same grade to a special image, export it and convert it with LUT Generator to a cube LUT.
You could grade something in Lightroom and export the grade to FCPX. Or export a Color Finale and Color Board grade to Davinci. I guess it's not 100% accurate but it works really good.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 24, 2017 at 7:40:30 pm

Hadn't come across that app before. Looks promising - I'll have to have a play with it.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Joe Lukus
on Jul 25, 2017 at 3:39:50 pm

Thanks guys!!

That's what I was wondering how to actually creat a Lut! So looks like that Lut generator is what I need... I also saw that I guess you can create them in Lightroom also... but just wasn't sure if the file extension would work/be the same and carryover like it is suppose with correct colors etc...
But it sounds like that's how you do it with still pictures and them create a file which I guess is a standard LUT file format that stays constant and works across programs, video and stills...

Thanks our FCPX forum is way better than the others! Lol
You guys the best!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]