FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic driver 10.9.5 - did they finally fix the broadcast lag in FCPX?!?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Hancock
Blackmagic driver 10.9.5 - did they finally fix the broadcast lag in FCPX?!?
on Jul 21, 2017 at 2:26:41 pm

Just updated my Blackmagic drivers to the latest (10.9.5), and in my initial testing it looks like the awful stickiness and lag when you hit play has been dramatically reduced!

There's still a delay in playback, but instead of the audio playing and the video trying to catch up there's just a pause now, then the audio and video start playing in sync, with no lag. It feels like it's caching a few frames first - but I'll take that over having to stop playback, roll it back, hit play, rinse/repeat until it finally plays right.

Has anyone else updated to the latest drivers and seeing an improvement? This has been my number 1 complaint with FCPX, and it feels like it's almost fixed!

SYSTEM SPECS:
OS 10.11.6 El Cap
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.GHz 8-core
D700 GPUs
64GB RAM
Storage is Pegasus2 Thunderbolt RAID
Video output via UltraStudio Express over SDI

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Blackmagic driver 10.9.5 - did they finally fix the broadcast lag in FCPX?!?
on Jul 21, 2017 at 3:44:28 pm

Cool. Just updated and checked. I'm seeing a definite improvement. It was unusable prior to this, because JKL at fast speeds caused the viewer image to hang up. That's definitely gone now.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Blackmagic driver 10.9.5 - did they finally fix the broadcast lag in FCPX?!?
on Jul 24, 2017 at 1:54:43 pm

Wait… and here I'm always told that that is/was an FCP bug. Guess not.

😏

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 25, 2017 at 12:37:12 am

I've never seen the problems you describe, always just a delay in beginning playback much like Matrox, AJA, or using DV out in the old days.

HOWEVER - for the first time in 3 years I used my BMD Ultrastudio Express all day without it crashing out FCPX. I've tried every driver for the last few years and none have worked. Some maybe for 5 minutes before the crash, but usually it's just a matter of seconds. Different computers have come and gone but the bug had remained. Only seemed like a few of us had it and so I switched to AJA years ago since BMD was of no help. I had assumed that the product had a physical problem, or it was some sort of software conflict with something I do or use.

But today with the new driver it seems fine. I'm happy, and angry at the same time that it WAS their problem all along and they took so ridiculously long to fix it. Or was it fixed by accident? Who knows. It'll probably break again next update.

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Jul 27, 2017 at 1:58:39 am

My God, it works!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 27, 2017 at 2:14:25 am

I know!!!! But what am I going to do for a paper weight now?

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Jul 27, 2017 at 12:59:07 pm

We've all got our hands on the bell ropes, just waiting for your cue Brett. After three yeah?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 27, 2017 at 1:15:22 pm

Huh?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]