FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing Sony FS7 footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Liz Parham
Importing Sony FS7 footage
on Jul 10, 2017 at 5:45:56 pm

If I want to import 4k Sony FS7 footage + optimize the media the "leave in place" option is greyed out. I thought the recent update supported XAVC-L? I don't want to copy + optimize again...I know there was a workaround when we had the FS5 where we just dragged the clips into an event and bypassed the "copy" option, but I heard that is not recommended for large projects. I also don't want to move clips out of their root folders and potentially lose metadata...

The folder structure on my drive: RAW MEDIA ---> REEL_DATE ---> XDROOT

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Importing Sony FS7 footage
on Jul 10, 2017 at 9:46:01 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kirkland on Jul 10, 2017 at 9:48:25 pm

I've never had to deal with XAVC-L footage but if you've retained the original card structure with your backup folders then my understanding is that it's the same as AVCHD, etc - FCPX has to import and rewrap the files before they can be used, so the "Leave files in place" option won't be available.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Marco Feil
on Jul 10, 2017 at 10:45:54 pm

We started to copy all Sony footage (and anything else thats not ARRI or RED) via EditReady from the cards to the project's footage folder and then import to FCPX with 'leave files in place'. No Transcode, just rewrap to .mov and copy. All Metadata is kept/translated and you can add your own Metadata, apply LUTs and batch rename the clips.

I had various problems with every other import method, like lost timecode or glitches. Especially roundtrips between applications can be painful when each program interprets Metadata differently or not at all or has problems with relinking to folder structures like AVCHD.

Now all our files are MOVs with unique names in useful folder structures. So nice.

Return to posts index

Jiri Bakala
on Jul 10, 2017 at 11:36:55 pm

I hear you. It's a pain. I wish FCPX didn't try to force this. My workflow is to copy all media from the cards to a hard drive first and then import to FCPX by selecting the top folder and making sure 'leave media in place' is selected. If you make the mistake of opening the folder and 'looking inside' - FCPX will think it's a media card and will force to import the media. The workflow to avoid that is to close FCPX and once re-opened, import the whole folder without opening it first.

Honestly, I wish Apple stopped treating us like children or idiots and allowed us to select what we want to do with the media. I wouldn't edit from a camera card but if someone wants to (news), let them for crying out loud.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 11, 2017 at 1:02:21 am

I thought it was the media format rather than anything of Apple's doing. Can any NLE edit AVCHD or XAVC without rewrapping it?

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Jul 11, 2017 at 12:13:24 pm

[Jeff Kirkland] "I thought it was the media format rather than anything of Apple's doing. Can any NLE edit AVCHD or XAVC without rewrapping it?..."

FCPX itself can import these "in place" without rewrapping -- just not if the video files are within the original folder tree. This works for XAVC-S and XAVC-L. I haven't seen any problems on XAVC-S but I haven't tested XAVC-L as much. In general moving video files out of the folder is considered poor practice but the current FCPX behavior encourages this because it won't import them "in place" from a folder tree on the hard disk.

It technically also works for AVCHD but there is a hidden problem whereby those bare .MTS files may cause performance problems. Referencing those files in the Event Browser (which doesn't require clicking on them -- just scrolling a window where they exist) may cause excessive I/O, slowing the performance of the entire event. It may be repeatedly rewrapping those files upon each reference, but that's just a guess. The solution is rewrap the AVCHD files with EditReady before importing with "leave files in place".

To my knowledge Premiere doesn't have any of these problems, although I haven't tested it as much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]