FORUMS: list search recent posts

Crash during render!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Jones
Crash during render!!
on Jul 3, 2017 at 6:02:53 pm

I have a 7 minute project that I am trying to finish.

1) It seldom crashes while editing.
2) As it includes a fairly intense number of layers, it almost always crashes when I leave it to render (such as overnight).
3) In a very short portion (around 30-40 seconds) I have almost 30 layers (a video wall effect). I am still doing some final edits on this segment of the video.
4) I have been reading up on possible fixes.
- Clear preferences (done)
- Convert media to proxy (see questions below)
- Make sure no other programs are open (done)
5) Screen saver/energy saver settings: I realize that this could be part of my problem. I try to remember to set this to never, but sometimes I forget to do so. Is there an automatic way to manage these settings to clear up any possible render problems (in case this is an issue)? It would be wonderful to have a setting that prevents these "saver" settings during render, but returns to standard settings otherwise.

PROXY QUESTION:
I understand the value and purpose of using Proxy. However, I do not understand how it would help with render. (I clearly understand how it will help during edit, but would I not need to revert all media to original for actual render/output? If yes, how would that benefit me for render issue?)

RENDER QUESTION:
I read that it is not necessary to render to do output. (I have not yet tried this.) Could this be a possible work-around to get export finished without a crash? (I have not done this yet because I want to review my completed edit prior to final output.)

DETAILS:
- All media is on external HD
- Running most current version of FCPX
- Working on MacBook Laptop 15-inch
- 2.8 ghz core
- 16 gb memory (DDR3)
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
- 1 TB Flash drive (250 GB available) / 700 GB available on external HD

Thanks much for your kind assist and words of wisdom. I do not take lightly your time to offer answers and suggestions.

Hope you are having a great 4th holiday.

Jerry Jones

J. David Jones
V I D E O P R O D U C E R
Unleashing the Power of Stories
to Impact the World....
Follow me on Twitter: jdavid17
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=jdavid17

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Crash during render!!
on Jul 3, 2017 at 9:37:22 pm

So we're talking a crash during background render? The bad news is that whatever the reason, it's just as likely to cause a crash when you go to export. It might not, but don't be surprised.

i don't think you mentioned what format the media was. I'd be more inclined to make sure it's all optimised than turn it into proxy media.

I'd also try turning background render off and then rendering sections of the timeline until I hit whatever part was causing the crash. If you can isolate it, you've taken a big step towards fixing the issue.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]