FORUMS: list search recent posts

30fps to 24fps very jumpy

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Varley
30fps to 24fps very jumpy
on Jul 2, 2017 at 7:15:35 pm

Hi there. I was editing a video in FCPX today, it was shot in 30fps. I wanted the project to be 24fps, so I made it that. However, the video was rather stuttery. I was wondering does anyone know what this is and is there a way around it? Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 30fps to 24fps very jumpy
on Jul 3, 2017 at 4:32:30 pm

No real way around that- by playing at 24 you're throwing away samples of motion designed to play at 30 fps. Just out of curiosity why not just cut at the frame rate it was shot it? Forcing it to 24 is not helping visually- as you noticed.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jul 3, 2017 at 4:57:31 pm

Jumping in on this . . . I have a program with three sections . . . two shot at 30 fps, one at 24 pfs. To put them in a single file I guess I would choose 30 fps. Though DCPs seem to want only 24 fps. Live and learn. Guess I'll switch to 24 fps for everything for best theatrical and archival format.
Cheers,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 3, 2017 at 5:50:28 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Jul 3, 2017 at 5:50:42 pm

At 30p or 60i/29.97? 60i can be converted to 24p with much less motion artifacts than 30p which is a pretty much useless abomination outside of home movies.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Jul 3, 2017 at 7:31:20 pm

[Noah Kadner] "At 30p or 60i/29.97? 60i can be converted to 24p with much less motion artifacts than 30p which is a pretty much useless abomination outside of home movies."

For anything going to the web I don't find 60 i to be very useful and I certainly avoid AVCHD packaging if I can. 30 p works well. It is a bit harsh to declare 30 p as useful only for home movies. I generally shoot at 60 p because it looks fine at 30 p and really helps for slow motion.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jul 3, 2017 at 9:45:27 pm

I find that Final Cut's frame rate conversion isn't all that great. I'm not sitting at my Mac to check if it can just do a 30p to 24p conversion but try running a couple of clips through the standards conversion section of JES Deinterlacer.

The output from that app has gotten footage past some very stringent network QA guys when FCPX and other converters have failed.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]