FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it possible to delete unused parts of media, to reduce size of the FCPX Library?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilde
Is it possible to delete unused parts of media, to reduce size of the FCPX Library?
on Jun 21, 2017 at 5:18:36 pm

My typical Library file starts out large because of all the footage ingested and evaluated prior to editing. After the final edit is made, changes done, etc., I would like to delete all the unused sections of footage (at least everything marked "rejected," if not all footage not in the timeline) so the Library file shrinks and is suitable for archiving. In other worlds this would be called Compacting. Is this possible using FCPX or any other tool?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Is it possible to delete unused parts of media, to reduce size of the FCPX Library?
on Jun 21, 2017 at 5:46:27 pm

In FCPX alone- no. However if you want to create an optimized version of a Project and trim the contents down say for archiving or portable use there is:

https://marquisbroadcast.com/Worx4/worx4.html

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Tim Wilde
Re: Is it possible to delete unused parts of media, to reduce size of the FCPX Library?
on Jun 21, 2017 at 7:46:06 pm

Thank you, Noah, Worx4 X sounds great if it actually works. Do you use it? I noticed somewhere in their descriptions that it cannot do its magic on multicam and compound clips, though they implied that one can break up compound clips to make them compatible. Don't know if that's applicable to multicam clips.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jun 21, 2017 at 8:39:32 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kirkland on Jun 21, 2017 at 8:41:22 pm

I use Worx4 X all the time and it works as advertised. As you say, it can't handle muiticam clips, other than to transfer the footage in its entirety, which I believe is a limitation due to the info they can get from the final cut XML so isn't likely to change any time soon but they're always working to improve the app so I'm sure it will be supported as soon as it can be.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 21, 2017 at 11:07:33 pm

Yup with those caveats it works like a charm.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]