FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I synchronise 2 audio channels within a video clip with FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terence Morris
How do I synchronise 2 audio channels within a video clip with FCPX?
on Jun 17, 2017 at 5:47:15 am

I have AVCHD footage from a C100 where one audio channel has about a 20ms delay on the other. The reason is that one channel came from a Senheisser wireless AVX system, while the other was a hardwired mic input. In FCPX I can't figure out a simple way to synchronise the AVX channel to the wired one. Previously, I've sync'd externally captured audio to video clip audio with the synchronise feature, but this is a different scenario. Thus far I've turned the audio into dual monos and I guess I can match them up in the timeline by eye and ear. But is there a better workflow? I can see me having more of this type of footage to work on. Also, I can't imagine this being such an unusual situation to end up in.

Thanks,
Terence

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
Re: How do I synchronise 2 audio channels within a video clip with FCPX?
on Jun 17, 2017 at 7:19:39 am

Yes there is a way. Create a multicam and not a syncronize of the clips. Select all clips and then create a MC. If there is a slate in all clips use sound as your sync point. If you don't have a slate you can put a marker on each clip where the audio starts.

Return to posts index

Terence Morris
on Jun 17, 2017 at 1:26:28 pm

Brian - just to make sure we are on the same page - you do realise I am referring to just ONE clip? I'm trying to synchronise the L/R wav channels within that clip.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Terence Morris
on Jun 17, 2017 at 2:46:28 pm

That was stated poorly: I mean, yes, I have various clips I plan to edit, but within each one, the two channels are recorded out of sync. So as a first step I need to sync those channels within each clip. I've never actually utilised multicam, but before I spend time playing with that I wanted to clarify the issue.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Jun 17, 2017 at 4:03:33 pm

OK, this may not work but I am thinking out loud. I would detach the audio channel that is off my 20ms. Export each that channel as a .wav or .aiff. Bring that audio clip back in and sync with the camera audio that is not out of sync. Sometimes it is easier to do it manually.

Return to posts index

Terence Morris
on Jun 17, 2017 at 4:18:35 pm

Yea - I was thinking of something like that in my head also. I was just hoping there might be a simpler fix with fewer steps. I'll play with it and get back. I appreciate your input.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jun 22, 2017 at 7:30:14 pm

Alternatively, in the browser:
1. right-click on the clip, select 'Open Clip'
2. in the clip's timeline, select the audio track and from the 'Clip' menu, select Break Apart Clip Items
3. adjust the track that's out of sync

Not sure if this would ripple to previously-used instances (guessing not), but it's another avenue to explore.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Terence Morris
on Jun 22, 2017 at 8:24:17 pm

Thanks, Doug. Yes, that's what I meant by manual adjustment. I was hoping there was some automated feature that could sync the audio channels in the timeline. I haven't had a chance to play with any of this due to other work. I may just split the audio into mono wavs using something like Logic Pro, import the delayed one separately, and then sync that to the other channel in the video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]