FORUMS: list search recent posts

Update to 10.3.3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Update to 10.3.3
on Jun 13, 2017 at 3:18:19 pm

I'm just learning FCP X by editing my first full video. I thought I'd start clean by updating my FCPX 10.2.3 to 10.3.3.

However my mac is not asking for an update of FCP X. How do I update it?

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Mark Landman
Re: Update to 10.3.3
on Jun 13, 2017 at 6:27:44 pm

Which OS are you running? I believe that 10.3.3 requires at least ElCapitan. If you're running less than that you won't get the update notice.

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jun 13, 2017 at 6:34:11 pm

Thanks Mark I'm running 10.10.5 Yosemite. I'm thinking about updating to Sierra.

If I go to the APPs, and find FCP 10.3.4 and click update it doesn't do anything.

Greg Ball, President

Return to posts index

Mark Landman
on Jun 13, 2017 at 6:47:17 pm

If I'm not mistaken, you won't be allowed to update (or even shown the update page) until you have a compatible OS. Once you update you should be good to go.

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jun 13, 2017 at 6:55:01 pm

Mark, what about 10.10.5 is not compatible when you said that 10.3 would work? I've been using FCP X 10.2.4 all along but I can't seem to update to to 10.3.4.

Greg Ball, President

Return to posts index

Mark Landman
on Jun 13, 2017 at 7:55:35 pm

I really can't point to a particular function or two and say "that's why it needs an OS update." The program is quite a bit faster than previous versions. I suspect that the some of the underlaying code was rewritten to take advantage of ElCapitan and up - although you'd have to check with someone more knowledgable about such things than I to find the real reason. (Cue Dr. McCoy - "Dammit Jim, I'm an editor-not a programmer." ☺)
I haven't had any problems since upgrading from 10.2, although to be honest I really didn't use it very much before I made the upgrade.
In addition to the COW forums, other good sources of FCPX info are fcp.co ( .co , not .com) and rippletraining.com. If you still run into problems you're sure to find someone there who knows much more about this than I do.

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jun 13, 2017 at 9:03:30 pm

Some users, myself included, just had trouble getting the 10.3.3 and newer update to apply. If your version of MacOS qualifies, just trash your current version of FCPX and reinstall the updated one.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 14, 2017 at 3:11:48 pm

Does the update 10.3. contain the entire program?

I'd be scared that trashing the old program and trying to install the new one might be a problem if the new one wouldn't install.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jun 14, 2017 at 8:42:01 pm

When you trash FCPX the App Store will install the full app. As I mentioned though, you need to have the minimum version OS installed - which for FCPX 10.3.3 is macOS 10.11.4 (El Capitan).

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]