FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it Possible to Edit 4K Raw Files in FCP7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Fraticelli
Is it Possible to Edit 4K Raw Files in FCP7?
on Jun 12, 2017 at 5:12:01 pm
Last Edited By Michael Fraticelli on Jun 12, 2017 at 5:13:27 pm

Hello Gang

Sorry there's no longer a catagory for FCP7 so I had to post this here. I have an older Mac Pro Desktop and FCP7. Was wondering if its possible to edit '4K Raw Files' in Final Cut Pro 7? Or does it require some type of complicated file transfer?

Thank You
Mike

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: Is it Possible to Edit 4K Raw Files in FCP7?
on Jun 12, 2017 at 5:48:23 pm

Make proxy into ProRes 1080. You won't be able to edit RAW 4K in FCP7.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Michael Fraticelli
on Jun 12, 2017 at 6:47:45 pm

Hello Warren - Thanx for responding !

I'd like to understand your reply more concisely. "Make proxy into ProRes 1080. You won't be able to edit RAW 4K in FCP7"

Are you saying I need to first make proxy into 'Pro Res 1080' in order to edit in FC7? Or are you saying I won't be able to edit in FCP7 either way?

So then if its possible to proceed using 'ProRes 1080', I'd be glad to pay you for some quick tips on just how to convert those 4K Raw Files into Pro Res 1080. To give you a little more info about my situation: I'm an older experienced editor using FC6 - editing in SD for many years. I also have an older Mac Pro Desktop loaded with FCP7. Thanks again Warren

Mike

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Jun 12, 2017 at 7:29:07 pm

Michael,

Yes you can convert to ProRes 1080 or even an SD codec you are comfortable and FCP7 will recognize your files. If you keep everything named the same, you can later relink to the RAW. I've done this many times in FCP7 with Red RAW.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

Return to posts index

Michael Fraticelli
on Jun 14, 2017 at 12:45:49 am

Warren you're a gentleman!

Although I've never done it before I was at least trying to see 'if it could be done' in some form of HD?

So as I understand it:

Do I need to set the sequence settings in the FC7 time line for 'ProRes 1080' before dragging the files onto the timeline?

Or do I extract the files, put them in storage somehow, then change the nature of the file themselves 'in properties' before I drag them onto the timeline?

I'd also be willing to pay you a tutorial fee - thank you Warren!

Mike

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Jun 14, 2017 at 1:37:58 am

Michael,

What did you shoot on? Was it a DSLR that shoots 4K h.264/h.265 variety? Was it a professional camera Red or Alexa?

I can't answer the question if I don't know that. Otherwise, I can say, can you import the files into Compressor and convert them to ProRes 1080/ whatever the FPS is.

Then you set you the appropriate timeline in FCP7. Don't let FCP7 try to convert to the timeline or it will either chock or not be able to recognize the RAW files at all.

You can give me a call if it's easier to answer that way.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 12, 2017 at 6:44:51 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Jun 12, 2017 at 6:45:48 pm

FCP7 has zero awareness of 4K or Raw as those formats developed into what they are currently long after 7 was laid to rest.

If you are working with that format more than very occasionally you should be in pretty much any NLE other than 7.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Michael Fraticelli
on Jun 12, 2017 at 6:59:04 pm

Thanx Noah

I'm not working with 4K more than occasionally. In fact I may never see it again. I'm only asking if I can edit this 'one project' for my nephew in FC7? So I guess I still need to get an answer to my original question to Warren: "Are you saying I need to first make proxy into 'Pro Res 1080' in order to edit in FC7? Or are you saying I won't be able to edit in FCP7 either way?"

Thanx Again
Mike

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 12, 2017 at 9:33:58 pm

First off, there is a forum for older FCP, it's called FCP LEGACY:

https://forums.creativecow.net/applefinalcutpro

Secondly....are you going to be DELIVERING 4K? is this going to have a 4K finish, or are you going to be delivering 1080? If delivering 1080, just convert the footage to 1080p ProRes 422 or HQ and cut that. If you want to reframe the image, meaning make use of 4K in a 1080 space so you can zoom in without losing quality, then you are going to have to do more of an offline/online (low res edit, full res finish) workflow like Warren laid out. But then, that begs the question, will you be finishing in FCP 7, or something like RESOLVE? Resolve handles 4K...FCP 7 does not. But Resolve is a bit of a complex piece of software.

I just want to get a handle on the level of complexity you are going for...what is this for? You are borrowing software to edit this, so this means that you don't own this software and do this often. And you are using software that is at your disposal, instead of getting your own. So do you need the complexity of converting to low res, editing, relinking to full res, or do you just want to make the footage workable to edit...yet still look good? And do you really need to deliver a 4K master?

BTW, ANY software would be struggling to edit 4K RAW...most convert to manageable formats for editing, some in the background, like FCX. But editing 4K RAW takes a powerful machine and fast hard drive storage.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Fraticelli
on Jun 14, 2017 at 12:52:52 am

Shane - This is Mike Fraticelli

We've communicated before. I'm a 70 year old experienced editor, (not a college student). Maybe you don't remember me?

As I mentioned on the original post I have an older Mac Pro Desktop with 'MY OWN' registered FC7.

Warren mentioned he's done it before. That's all I wanted to know ....

And NO this is not a professional project for which I'll be doing it all the time.

But again I've answered all these questions in the post.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 14, 2017 at 9:28:39 am

Sorry, Michael! I'm horrible with names. Faces I have down PAT, but I can't see your face here. And judging one's level of skill is tough too. Sorry if I was condescending at all...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]