FORUMS: list search recent posts

Invalid Public Movie Atom

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Cunningham
Invalid Public Movie Atom
on Jun 12, 2017 at 1:38:04 pm

Oh Great Cow Wizards,

I wasn't getting any response in the Adobe blog, so I thought I'd try here. This does seem like an Apple thing, and the issue also arose in FCP X. I haven't seen any postings on this topic since 2012, and the video was recorded in 2017.

A client is sending me some drives that, when he tries to play the footage (probably Pro Res from Ki Pro), he gets the message "Invalid public movie atom was found in the movie". He said he tried to open in both Final Cut and Premiere w/ no success.

I have found that "atom" (circa 2008-20011) seems to be about meta data that tell software how to play the video, so my guess is that that info has gotten corrupted.

Has anyone encountered this issue, and has anyone found a way to rebuild the missing data, or get the footage back to a state where it could be played/edited?

Thanks,

Jim
iMac 2015, 32GB RAM 4GB VRAM
60TB RAID, Adobe CC 2017

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Invalid Public Movie Atom
on Jun 12, 2017 at 4:48:59 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Jun 12, 2017 at 4:49:13 pm

Do the files play anywhere? Like QT Player, VLC etc?

Noah

FCPWORKS - Workflow

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Jun 13, 2017 at 12:02:26 pm

The files will not play anywhere. A recommendation/suggestion for software that would repair would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Return to posts index

Damiano Galassi
on Jun 13, 2017 at 9:13:39 am

A mov file is composed by small parts called "atoms", so your guess is right, the file is probably corrupted. I think there are some utilities that can fix some broken mov, but I never tried them.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 13, 2017 at 3:01:23 pm

Any idea what created the files in the first place? They're either corrupt and a lost cause or possibly some very obscure format you might be able to play with the correct plugin.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Jun 16, 2017 at 2:05:22 pm

I was told that they were recorded on a KiPro, so the files are ProRes. Typically what happens w/ files that are corrupted w/ a KiPro is that the drive was improperly ejected. I did contact AJA and they recommended some file recovery services. I'm trying to see if http://www.aeroquartet.com/ might be a solution.

Thanks,

Jim

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Jun 29, 2017 at 12:18:40 pm

Just to follow up, I did contact Areoquartet, and they sent me software to test if the files were salvageable. The files proved to be fixable, and Areoquartet sent trial software to test fix the files. There was on-screen flashing TRIAL text on the outcome, but I was able to ascertain that the files would be recoverable (both audio and video). I then was able to purchase the Fix Kit on-line (15 day expiration) and was able to fix the corrupted files.

Just a heads-up, you will need to make sure you have adequate space on your hard drive - Original/corrupted files, temp repair & rebuilt files ( so 3 times the space).

So, files repaired, edit complete - "Mischief Managed"

Cheers,
Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]