FORUMS: list search recent posts

Library locking on NFS Server doesn't work

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marco Feil
Library locking on NFS Server doesn't work
on Jun 5, 2017 at 9:28:39 pm

Hi all,

I've got a problem on our new shiny QNAP NAS. Clients are connected via NFS.
Final Cut libraries don't get locked when someone works them. Other Macs can still open the library. After some time one Final Cut closes the library because it can't save anymore.

When I tried this on another server a few months ago I think there was an error message when you tried to open an already open library.
All I could find on the web was people having the opposite problem when libraries stay locked.

Is there something I have to configure on the QNAP or in macOS?

Return to posts index

Marco Feil
Re: Library locking on NFS Server doesn't work
on Jun 8, 2017 at 8:02:26 pm

Ok, it seems to work now.
Problem was: When mounting an NFS share with the QFinder application, it asks to tune nfs performance. If you let it, it edits the nfs.conf file in /etc. and adds
nfs.client.mount.options=nfssvers=3,tcp,async,locallocks,rw,rdirplus,rsize=65536,wsize=65536
nfs.client.allow_async=1

Which is exactly what this whitepaper suggests (found it via Alex4D):
Quote: There is one critical modification to the OS X NFS configuration that's necessary in order for FCP X to recognise the share as a valid mount for a Library. The NFS mount has to be configured to only use local locks.

That isn't needed anymore.
I changed locallocks to locks. Now file locking works and Final Cut doesn't open a library that's used by another Mac.
nfs.client.mount.options=nfssvers=3,tcp,async,locks,rw,rdirplus,rsize=65536,wsize=65536
nfs.client.allow_async=1

.... perhaps someone else finds this useful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]