FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choppy Audio in MULTICAM Edits

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Payne
Choppy Audio in MULTICAM Edits
on Jun 3, 2017 at 5:53:09 pm

Hey guys,
I'm editing a mockumentary that we used 2 cameras on with with an additional Audio source (boom). I've been watching lots of videos so I think I have a decent handle on it, but when I use the "show angles" option to cut the multicam footage I'm getting choppy audio at the edit points. From multicam cut to cut there is a noticeable "jump cut" quality to the audio. Is there something I'm doing wrong? It's set to only use the external audio so there isn't any camera audio coming through. I can think of a few workarounds, but I'd rather get it right with the easier/normal method since I'm just getting used to the multicam workflow. Just let me know if I need to explain better.

Thanks for any info!
Glenn

Using 10.3.1 (I believe there's a 10.3.4 update I need to do).

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Choppy Audio in MULTICAM Edits
on Jun 3, 2017 at 9:32:12 pm

First step would a;ways be to update to the latest version and see if that helps. Aside from that what codec are you editing and what system are you editing on? It sounds to me like maybe the hard drive or computer isn't keeping up and there's a small glitch as the angles change.

Does the glitch persist if you render out a small section?

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on Jun 3, 2017 at 9:57:19 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. It's h264 and I'm running Yosemite with a 4gb video card and 32gb of ram. I was concerned about editing h264 but several editors on here told me it could handle it.

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on Jun 3, 2017 at 10:01:13 pm

I forgot to put the hard drive. I'm away from my system but I believe it's a 120gb SSD hard drive.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jun 3, 2017 at 11:37:24 pm

I'd expect your system to keep up although it sounds like you might be editing from your system drive? That can lead to weirdness at times.

Resolution would make a difference - h264 at 1080p is a different story to 4k and not all h264 encoding is created equal. Some camera footage can take more effort to decode than others. You might try letting FCPX optimise the media or create proxies and see how that goes.

----

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on Jun 4, 2017 at 1:48:57 am

Thanks for the info. The footage is on an external hard drive with USB 3.0 and the h264 footage is 1080 from a canon dslr 7d and 60d. I'll give optimization a shot if I can't get it to smooth out. I'll also try rendering out a tiny piece and see how that works. Thanks again for your time!

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jun 4, 2017 at 3:20:18 am

No worries. I've edited a lot of 7D footage so there shouldn't be any problem playing back that footage. Weird.

----

Return to posts index

Glenn Payne
on Jun 4, 2017 at 4:16:18 am

I was playing around and discovered something odd. I made a new multicam clip and edited it with the "view angles" option and it didn't have the choppy audio issue with each new edit. I thought back on what I did differently with the first clip. With the first clip I was playing around with double clicking on the freshly made multicam clip to view it in full detail in its own little timeline and from that position i raised the volume a good bit. After doing that I went back to the actual timeline and made my edits. I'm wondering if that volume adjustment somehow caused the issues on the initial clip when I switched back to the timeline. I'm not sure why it would but I suppose it could have something to do with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]