FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX export options stay grayed-out; can't share to file.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
FCPX export options stay grayed-out; can't share to file.
on Jun 2, 2017 at 4:22:39 am

Slightly older version of FCPX, I have a bit over 6 hours of HD footage painstakingly assembled into a 2-hour rough cut that I wish to export as H.264 or Prores 422, but all the options to export or share remain grayed-out.

I selected everything on the timeline, Hit "render all": this has sometimes fixed the problem in the past. I have done this twice now for the current program without success; the render happens, according to the progress bars, but export/share options still grayed out, no explanations given.

I'm going to try playing the timeline out live, thru my IO system or via Thunderbolt into a KiPro recorder, next, but would appreciate opinions, conjecture, and even helpful advice on the specific problem.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: FCPX export options stay grayed-out; can't share to file.
on Jun 2, 2017 at 5:36:37 am

Try copy pasting all into a new project timeline.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 2, 2017 at 11:45:11 am

Did that; no difference.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 2, 2017 at 12:34:04 pm

Trash your preferences.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 2, 2017 at 3:49:03 pm

Trashed prefs as suggested.... and now the last third of the timeline is a red mess of "missing camera" picons. No biggie, just a day and a half's worth of work went "poof" just now. Panicking? Who's panicking? I got til lunch time to fix this. THEN I'll be panicking.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 2, 2017 at 4:48:32 pm

That does seem to point to a much bigger issue, and no wonder things weren't working correctly.

If you match frame the footage, where does it lead?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 2, 2017 at 6:36:31 pm

I re-imported source footage into the fresh library and project file, and told it to render, went to lunch, came back, the bleeding was gone and the timeline restored. Better yet, the export options are back in black, baby! So I'm trying a test export right now. Will take a while, but looks promising for now.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 2, 2017 at 5:31:07 pm

That sounds more like missng media than a bug. Assuming you have the original camera carda you need to reimport the clips that are missing.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 2, 2017 at 6:40:24 pm

I never have a problem like this if I follow Shane's Law and copy the P2 cards off to folders in my AV drive before importing them. Only when I work with footage where it's not being copied over on import, do I get into these tangles, even though I never removed the P2 from the reader. It's like random "forgetfulness" hits the thing every once in a while - always when you're on a deadline, too.

Maybe that's fixed in the latest build, and if I ever get out from under my current project backlog and clear off ALL the drives, we'll upgrade and see.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 2, 2017 at 8:07:21 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I never have a problem like this if I follow Shane's Law and copy the P2 cards off to folders in my AV drive before importing them"

I think this happens when you quit FCPX before it's done rewrapping, regardless of where the media is. The way FCPX works is that you can see and use the media before it's done rewrapping, so if you quit before it's done rewrapping, FCPX leaves you linked to the original media in some sort of "not quite online" state. This seems like it could be programed a bit better to be able to get out of this jam.

This problem pops up from time to time on these forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jun 3, 2017 at 1:02:08 am

I've seen this same issue. My wife edits and she is frequently under time pressure and there have been instances where clips were "imported" but not all the behind the scenes business is finished and she closes the project/library/FCPX and then the next time the project is opened there are some clips that are "not quite there", which of course fouls any attempted exports.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 3, 2017 at 1:15:42 am

[Mark Smith] "and then the next time the project is opened there are some clips that are "not quite there", which of course fouls any attempted exports."

Sometimes, you can dig in to the library file and delete the alias. This will knock the file completely offline and allow you to reimport with the File > Reimport menu.

Depending on your footage, the alias is sometimes hard to find.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]