FORUMS: list search recent posts

unlinking connected clips FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Sherman
unlinking connected clips FCPX
on May 18, 2017 at 8:29:12 pm

I'm quite new to this but am making great progress. Unlinking connected clips is driving be bonkers. To be sure I'm not using the wrong terminology, when I have a b-roll shot above the main timeline or a sound clip below it, it is linked to a shot on the timeline by a little blue line. How do I unlink/delink/delete that connection?

I've looked at videos that shows moving playhead to next clip, hold opt/command (Mac) and it moves to the next shot. Nope, it doesn't work for me.

Am I missing something or is the latest software version different?
thank you

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: unlinking connected clips FCPX
on May 19, 2017 at 12:31:27 am

You cannot delete a connection point. You have move it or allow other changes without it staying linked to that clip at that location (the tilde key). But all clips have to have a connecting point since there are no tracks.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on May 19, 2017 at 12:33:08 am

Any clip or secondary storyline not on the primary storyline has to be connected to a clip that is on the primary storyline. You can't have unconnected clips - but you can move that connection by moving the playhead to the point you want the new connection then CMD-OPT clicking on the connected clip. If the connection is from a secondary storyline, you need to click on the storyline shelf (the grey bar at the top of that storyline).

You can also temporarily disable the connection by holding down the tilde (~) key. For example ~ DEL will delete a clip from the primary storyline without deleting the clips connected to it.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 19, 2017 at 4:05:19 pm

Yup- FCPX is one 'track' to rule them all. Any clips outside of the primary storyline must connect to it, they cannot be left independent. (This pays great benefits once you master this concept).

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on May 19, 2017 at 6:31:37 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, Noah. What are some of the "great benefits" of not being able to move clips around independently of the "primary storyline?"
I've heard that a workaround to the absence of tracks (way to cheat the system) is to create some kind of a dark or null clip as the primary storyline and link all other clips to that. Is that true?
Looking for a way out of the Adobe rental model . . .
Cheers,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on May 19, 2017 at 9:40:41 pm

There's nothing to stop you moving connected clips independently of the primary storyline, just as it's possible to move clips on the primary storyline independently of the connected clips by holding down the tilde key.

Trying to emulate tracks in FCPX is a sure-fire road to frustration. It's just not the way it works. It will slow you down and lead you to any number of awkward editing dead-ends. Many have tried but all have either moved on to another NLE wondering what's so great about FCPX or have finally grasped the whole magnetic timeline concept and wonder how they could have edited in anything else.

Once you embrace the core concept - that every edit has a primary story, either video or audio, and that everything else is just A/V b-roll anchored to points along that storyline - then you will find it increasingly difficult to go back to the limitations of a track based NLE.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 19, 2017 at 11:06:42 pm

Roger,

Don't take offense, but it seems like some basic training would be in order. To start, check out the free Ripple Training tutorials. Beyond that check out Bill Davis' XinTwo and the paid Ripple tutorials. There are plenty of others out there, too.

https://www.xintwo.com

http://www.rippletraining.com

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]