FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I reverse telecine a scene I have already edited?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Can I reverse telecine a scene I have already edited?
on May 18, 2017 at 4:15:29 pm

I edited a scene in a 23.98 fps timeline. The footage is 30fps. When i export, it looks somewhat choppy. I know i can reverse telecine the footage and then remake the scene, but that'd be a lot of editing.

Are there any other choices? Could I put the same scene in a 30fps timeline, export that, and reverse telecine the exported movie files? Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
Re: Can I reverse telecine a scene I have already edited?
on May 18, 2017 at 6:41:00 pm

Use Compressor to reverse telecine the 29.97 fps footage back to 23.976. Then take that to your 23.976 edit sequence. This does not always work because if the telecine 29.97 fps clip (fr 23.976 with full 3:2 pull is not done correctly), it will not work.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on May 18, 2017 at 6:52:49 pm

If I dont want to have to re-edit everything, would it work to export the footage as an edited sequence from a 30fps event, then reverse telecine that movie file that gives me?

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on May 18, 2017 at 8:43:08 pm

You can't reverse telecine a 30 fps native clip back to 23.976 because there's no 3:2 pull down applied on the 30fps (likely 29.97 fps) clip. Compressor will not let you proceed.

If I'm not mistaken, you have a 29.97 fps originated footage and simply want to conform it to a 23.976 timeline? If you do that, there will always be dropped frame from the 29.97 fps originated to a 23.976 fps timeline. The other method to reduce dropped frames that I'm aware of is using a hardware standards converter. That's just a lot of work. I see the end result is blended frames on a 23.976 file. Whatever the case, you can never get a true 23.976 fps from a 29.97 fps footage. It's either blended or dropped but never in its native form. True native frame rate generally has to be shot in the correct frame rate from the camera and not post processed.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on May 18, 2017 at 8:46:14 pm

The footage was shot in the dreaded format of PF24 on my Canon-XA 10. It's 24 fps footage that gets converted to 30fps by the codec. I can do a pulldown of this kind of footage which is why I'm wondering if I can just export from 30fps and then reverse telecine that.

Obviously the better move would have been getting this right from the start....

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on May 18, 2017 at 11:33:43 pm

I dealt with PsF in the past with the video inspector by having to manually set it to progressive instead of interlaced. It'll be similar to your stuff XA 30p footage.

This will not be exact to your situation but similar enough to try it out: I'd customize your sequence and set it to 1080-30p. Then I click on the video inspector. Rate conform this to the default Floor. That should do it for your situation. No need to do reverse telecine in Compressor. This method is very similar to using the discontinued Cinema Tools. Then export the file to see if it works out.

Return to posts index

Tom Ackroyd
on May 19, 2017 at 2:30:05 am

If you have access to Final Cut Pro 7, it has a tool to remove advanced pulldown from 24@29.97 footage. See page 1983 "Using an AG-DVX100 NTSC Camcorder with Advanced Pull-Down" in the FCP 7 manual here:
https://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/Final%20Cut%20Pro...

Tom

Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
8 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
OS 10.7.5
FCP 10.0.6

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 19, 2017 at 4:06:19 pm

Going to be a mess because only raw footage the cadence order will jump on every shot- therefore automated removal will fail.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]