FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to get progressive h.264 mp4 video from Final cut pro X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yngvar Natland
How to get progressive h.264 mp4 video from Final cut pro X
on May 16, 2017 at 12:28:47 pm

I didnt find this info readily available, and I spent some time figuring it out, so I thought I would just share it:

For mp4 h.264 video, the compressor uses the settings from the project to determine if the output should be interlaced or progressive.

Click the project in the browser, go to the info-pannel and check whether the project is set to interlaced or progressive (i.e. x720i or x720p). Click the change-button in the info-pannel to change it. When you compress the project now, the compressed video will be the same format (interlaced or progressive) as the project.

Hope that helps someone.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: How to get progressive h.264 mp4 video from Final cut pro X
on May 16, 2017 at 7:57:51 pm

[Yngvar Natland] "check whether the project is set to interlaced or progressive (i.e. x720i or x720p)."

Perhaps a hypothetical but not real. While 1080 can be p or i, 720 should always be progressive as broadcast is always 720p.

[Yngvar Natland] "When you compress the project now, the compressed video will be the same format (interlaced or progressive) as the project. "

That would only be if you're using an H.264 encoder set to same as source or top/bottom field dominant. Generally there's little practical use [Yngvar Natland] "For mp4 h.264 video" as interlaced. There might be a practical application for H.264 1080 interlaced in a Transport Stream (or Program Stream?) for broadcast.

Actually it would be a very serious concern if 1080i projects weren't being deinterlaced for H.264 .mp4 by default considering most web and VOD (non broadcast) would be progressive.

Granted maybe there's exceptions but those would be exceptional after all.

Return to posts index

Yngvar Natland
on May 18, 2017 at 6:46:33 am

Thank you for the input.

You are absolutely right about the 720-example. 1080 is what we use almost all of the time, and sometimes the cameras are set to record to 1080i. When that hapens, the project will default to 1080i. That is what creates this problem.

The compressor i am using is Compressor v 4.3.2. I asume you have the same options if you want to export directly from Final Cut X. I have set up the profile in Compressor, and made it selectable from the share menu in Final Cut Pro X. I have checked extencively and would expect a field order, or deinterlace, option when setting up h.264 with mp4 wraper. I could not find one. If you find one, please let us know.

I asume that the rest of your post is correct, and it might be the reason why earlier versions of Compressor/Final Cut didnt even give you the option, and always exported to 1080p. For the current version that is not the case, creating a problem.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 19, 2017 at 12:19:40 pm

[Yngvar Natland] "For mp4 h.264 video, the compressor uses the settings from the project to determine if the output should be interlaced or progressive."
Actually, that's not what I'm experiencing. It uses the project setting to determine if the INPUT is progressive or interlaced but the OUTPUT is always determined by the settings that you apply in Compressor. For example, if you select Apple Device for the output, it will never give you an option to render interlaced because all Apple Devices are progressive.
[Yngvar Natland] "I have checked extencively and would expect a field order, or deinterlace, option when setting up h.264 with mp4 wraper. I could not find one. If you find one, please let us know. "
The setting is on the Video tab but it is always greyed out. The field order is determined by your target device and Compressor sets it accordingly. There is no reason to mess with this setting yourself.

You didn't tell us what settings you are using in Compressor but I'm confused by the title of your post. It is almost impossible to NOT get progressive MP4 video from Compressor so I'm really curious as to what you are seeing that is so different from what I'm seeing.

Let's start with what setting / preset are you using in Compressor that is giving you interlaced MP4 files?

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]