FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cutting in FCPX - getting there slowly....

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Davison
Cutting in FCPX - getting there slowly....
on May 12, 2017 at 8:36:32 am

OK - so I'm a newbie to FCPX. Been cutting short films for the BBC on it for 3 weeks now - and it revealing its many advantages as well as its many disadvantages, most of which I'm sure are down to my 20 years cutting on Avid and FCP 7. A few things I still cant work out how to do....

How do you reattach audio to the original pictures? As the interviews were all recorded split audio I'm having to detach the audio from the picture then isolate one of the audio tracks for editing. How do I stop it going out of sync when I want to go back to editing picture and audio together?

I cant work out how to apply a cut to all elements in the timeline (Apart from selecting all, blading the in, blading the out and deleting which seems like a rather long way round for doing something so basic.)

I'm also getting frustrated with the way you use timecode - I think this may need a bit of work as its the bread and butter to those of us on long form docs.

I have a 2 hr interview all nicely transcripts and logged with timecode, I'm having real problems entering a timecode in the viewer. It doesn't always want to enter (Blue numbers)...

Life on the Bleedin' Cutting Edge....

http://www.twotallmen.co.uk

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
Re: Cutting in FCPX - getting there slowly....
on May 12, 2017 at 11:50:48 am

Cut all clips in the time line - Shift command B.

I rarely detach audio from picture. Select the clip - go to the inspector and turn off the audio tracks you don't want and then edit away.

As for time code - are you wanting to jump to a particular time code of a browser clip or time line clip?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 12, 2017 at 12:27:12 pm

[Sean Davison] "How do you reattach audio to the original pictures?"

Did you sync audio to the pictures before you started editing, or is your audio embedded to the video? FCPX can create synchronized clips in the Browser but this is typically done before editing. If the audio is embedded, open the inspector (command-4) and turn the appropriate audio tracks on or off.

[Sean Davison] "I cant work out how to apply a cut to all elements in the timeline (Apart from selecting all, blading the in, blading the out and deleting which seems like a rather long way round for doing something so basic.)"

You can select all the clips you want to cut and use option left or right bracket. This works as a top/tail. You can also select the clips and blade all. I have remapped the blade function to simply 'b'. This allow me to select the clips I want to cut and hit b, and it blades them. I also top/tail a lot as sometimes it's more convenient.

[Sean Davison] "I have a 2 hr interview all nicely transcripts and logged with timecode, I'm having real problems entering a timecode in the viewer. It doesn't always want to enter (Blue numbers)..."

No doubt FCPX needs some help in tc, but it's way better than it used to be. Control-p will allow you to enter specific tc on a clip in the browser, and will navigate to it when you press enter. Also, you can remap copy/paste Timecode functions, open the shortcut editor with command-option-k and search for "timecode". This would allow you to copy tc from transcript, and paste in to clip to find that part of the byte.

Return to posts index

Sean Davison
on May 15, 2017 at 8:38:00 am

Thanks all - I was using dual screen and trying to enter the time code in the left hand window!

Ill try editing with the attached audio see how I get on....

Life on the Bleedin' Cutting Edge....

http://www.twotallmen.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]