FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need dependable method for connecting Firewire hard drives to 2016 MacBook Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gilbert Daspit
Need dependable method for connecting Firewire hard drives to 2016 MacBook Pro
on May 9, 2017 at 1:17:41 pm

I use FCPX on a Mac Pro desktop computer. I'd like my organization to purchase a 2016 MacBook Pro laptop so I can use FCPX away from the office. We've been using firewire external hard drives for video storage in our editing process. Since there are only Thunderbolt 3 receptacles on the 2016 MacBook Pro, I need an adapter to connect the firewire hard drives holding my video.

Apple recommends connecting two adapters together to do the job: Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter connected to a Thunderbolt 2 to Firewire adapter. This isn't the most elegant seeming solution but I'll do it if it works. Has anyone had experience doing this -- is it a reliable method?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

P.S.: I realize OWC is coming out with a Thunderbolt 3 dock that will handle Firewire but I'm not sure if it's shipping yet. Also, it's an extra $300 and it operates off A/C power from what I've read which takes away some of the functionality of a laptop that can operate off battery.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Need dependable method for connecting Firewire hard drives to 2016 MacBook Pro
on May 9, 2017 at 3:25:20 pm

New Thunderbolt 3 drives are $100/TB now- perhaps your org can kick in a few in top of the MBP and cover the bases?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Gilbert Daspit
Re: Need dependable method for connecting Firewire hard drives to 2016 MacBook Pro
on May 9, 2017 at 3:56:24 pm

Thanks for the reply, we'll probably start using Thunderbolt 3 drives. I get the impression Apple went all in on the Thunderbolt 3 (which I believe uses the USB-C receptacle) because that's the connector of choice for all kind of devices and storage.
However, I still have footage I need to work with on firewire drives, does anyone know if Apple's suggested connection (above) will work dependably?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 9, 2017 at 4:23:28 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on May 9, 2017 at 4:23:46 pm

Sure it's a pile of dongles- but it works.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Rikki Blow
on Jun 8, 2017 at 7:29:18 am

yep the two adapters in a row have been working absolutely fine for me here - loads of legacy firewire drives needing connecting to my 2016 touch bar jobbie.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]