FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange magenta error during playback of RED 4K footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jolene van Antwerp
Strange magenta error during playback of RED 4K footage
on May 9, 2017 at 11:37:27 am

Hello there,

I've come across an strange magenta error when scrubbing through or playing back 4K footage in Final Cut Pro 10.3.2

The footage was recorded on a RED Weapon Forged at 25fps 4096x2160 REDcode 5:1
Stored on an external drive (Promise Pegasus 2 R8 42TB thunderbolt)

Tech info:
Final Cut Pro 10.3.2
OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
Processor: 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory: 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics: AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB
Display: DELL P2715Q 27-inch (3840x2160)

Please see image below for a reference.

I found it quite difficult to pinpoint exactly when this error occurs, as it happens spontaneously. When it first happened, I was playing back the footage in it's native format without any transcoding. I would restart final cut and then it would disappear. So I continued scrubbing through the footage in it's native RAW format and most of the time it works perfectly, no magenta errors.

On another occasion, the magenta error popped up and remain there even after restarting. I tried to transcode the footage in the same Library, but it would result in a solid magenta mov (even when I open it in quick time). I would then have to re-import the footage into a new Library, then optimize it before I can work with it on the timeline. This seemed to work the best.

Because I work with wildlife footage, we have quite a massive shooting ration, especially because we work on multiple projects. At this moment we have over a 1300 hours worth of 4K footage (est 178 TB of RAW un-transcoded footage).

I understand that it would be better to transcode the RAW before we start creating string outs, but optimizing results in file sizes that are 3 times the size of the RAW. Creating proxies would probably be the best way forward, but it takes such a long time to generate proxies. Time that we can't spare.

Ideally, we would like to create string outs in the native RAW format, then from there create selects which we will then optimize before working on it. That way we save space and of course, a lot of money.

Has anyone else come across this magenta flashing nightmare? If so, any solutions or even advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jolene van Antwerp
Wildlife Documentary Editor
South Africa, JHB

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Strange magenta error during playback of RED 4K footage
on May 9, 2017 at 10:47:05 pm

Why 10.3.2 and not 10.3.3? And are you up to date with RED's plugins.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jolene van Antwerp
Re: Strange magenta error during playback of RED 4K footage
on May 10, 2017 at 7:36:05 am

Hi Noah,

Thanks for your reply. I'm at picture lock with one project and will need to move over to online within a few weeks, so I thought it would be best to update to 10.3.3 after completion.

I've double checked and my RED plugins are actually out of date. This might be the cause, thank you for pointing it out. I will update the plugins and see if this error occurs again.

Thanks for your help!

Jolene van Antwerp
Wildlife Documentary Editor
South Africa, JHB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]