FORUMS: list search recent posts

Offline to Online Editing??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cagla Angel
Offline to Online Editing??
on May 7, 2017 at 4:15:58 am

Hello everyone!
I edited our film on Final Cut Pro (offline edit) and now I have to send it to the online editor (who's going to add vfx, coloring etc..)
How should I save the project? Should I export the film or do I need another kind of file?
I've been up searching for it quite a while but can't seem to find anything clear. Please help me understand this process because I need to send the film tomorrow for the online editing.
Thank you very much in advance!!!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Offline to Online Editing??
on May 7, 2017 at 5:04:35 am

When you say 'offline' what do you mean exactly?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Cagla Angel
on May 7, 2017 at 10:39:17 am

I mean I edited the whole movie from the original source, picked which shots to use, and placed them in order, storytelling, and everything. Now I need vfx, color grading.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 7, 2017 at 12:38:45 pm

Color grading can easily be handled either inside FCPX or by sending to DaVinci Resolve, depending on skills of the operator and complexity of the grading. FCPX can export an FCPXML for this final sequence, which is what Resolve will need, along with the original media. Sometimes a colorist will simply want a flattened, high-quality export of the final and then they'll take it from there.

Regarding VFX, that isn't something an "online" editor normally does. It depends on the nature of the effects, of course, but usually this falls into the area of specialized VFX artists, animators, graphic designers, etc.

Feel free to contact me off list and I can go into more detail.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 7, 2017 at 1:28:37 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on May 7, 2017 at 1:32:26 pm

Greatly depends in which app(s) the folks you are working with for vfx/grading etc are using. Some, like Resolve have a fairly straightforward integration workflow. Others require more hoops/helper apps to interchange with. And as Oliver points out- the needs of the project often dictate how mich external collaboration is warranted/affordable.

Also, 'offline' generally refers to editing at a lower or proxy resolution than the original camera media. If you're working at the original resolution then your edit is already online quality.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Cagla Angel
on May 7, 2017 at 3:31:55 pm

Hello,

Thank you very much for your replies!

Yes, I edited lower/proxy resolution on Final Cut Pro from the original source.

For color grading they asked me to send a high-quality export (ProRes 422) to them, and they will do the vfx and coloring.
I'm planning on sending my project to Composer for this kinda export. Would that work??

I wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong, cause I'm very new to this.

I'll be sending the film to festivals btw, so they will export it again for the festivals' format requirements I'm assuming?
Sorry I sound very uninformed. I really appreciate your help!!

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 7, 2017 at 3:50:24 pm

What camera/format did you shoot in? Double system audio or in-camera audio?

For the colorist, make a dupe of your sequence and remove all audio. Send all the original camera files and an FCPXML export from your final video-only timeline. You do this from inside FCPX, not Composer.

For the sound designer/mixer, dupe your final sequence and detach all audio from picture. Delete the picture clips. Export an FCPXML and then use X2Pro Audio Convert to create an AAF file. That goes to the sound designer.

For both the colorist and the mixer, export a full version of your film (low res) with burn-in timecode. This will be a reference for them to make sure everything has been correctly translated when they receive. it.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Cagla Angel
on May 7, 2017 at 4:08:11 pm

Hi Oliver,

We shot with ALEXA MINI, .mov format. Double system audio.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation!
I'll start exporting as you described.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 7, 2017 at 9:43:28 pm

Not so fast- first confirm what your team will be using for sound/pic finishing. The instructions above assume Resolve as color correction and ProTools for audio. And while those are definitely the majority of what is used these days for those respective departments, you still need to confirm before spending the effort/money to do exports.

Also I'm still confused- if you edited proxies yourself do you also have the originals? How were the proxies generated and do they match 1:1 to the originals? All of these questions and more can be answered by speaking with whomever is doing your sound and picture post-production. Without first knowing those specifics what we tell you here is only educated guessing. (No offense to Oliver Peters, whose educated guesses are superior to most professionals' certainty.)

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]