FORUMS: list search recent posts

Limit on length of filenames? (number of characters)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Wilson
Limit on length of filenames? (number of characters)
on May 7, 2017 at 4:00:03 am

Hi all,

Using FCPX, and renaming a bunch of files to be imported. Does FCPX have a problem handling filenames that are long (50 to 100 characters)? I don't want to have trouble down the line as I take project from FCPX to Audition and Resolve, and later hand off an external hard drive to someone pulling up these files on their computers and needing to work on the project in FCPX, Audition, Resolve, or any other software. Any issues I should be aware of with long filenames?

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Limit on length of filenames? (number of characters)
on May 7, 2017 at 5:05:56 am

Not sure there is a hard limit but 100+ character filenames are impractical. Use camera filenames and organize via keywords, Notes etc.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on May 7, 2017 at 7:56:04 am

If you want the broadest compatibility with other apps and repurposing the content a decade later, keep the file names <64 chars.

Any Adobe apps - especially AE CC will have a hard time with anything more than 64 chars. The directory name on top of file name will make it not able to relink. It appears that the dir name is contributing to the file limit. So if I have a 64 chars dir name + 32 chars file name (96 chars total), it will not work. But if I shorten both around 32 chars (64 total), it's fine on CS5->CC2017. Happened to me several times. I'll keep it within 32-64 max chars for file names.

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on May 7, 2017 at 6:24:35 pm

Thanks guys. Will keep everything short and use keywords once in fcpx.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on May 8, 2017 at 11:18:16 am

I have to ask the question "why" would you want to have filenames 64- 100 charaters in length?

Return to posts index

Helgi Thor
on May 8, 2017 at 5:11:01 pm

You can use the Notes field to add all that info you want. Just arrange it so it´s next the clip name in the browser and it will show up in the timeline index as well.

--
Helgi Thor
Editor
Fortaleza
Brazil

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on May 8, 2017 at 8:45:29 pm

Hey Mark,

I had clips around 10-25 characters and they were in folders and subfolders with long folder names. I had heard that can count towards filename length and hearing about issues with more than 32 character filename length, thought I'd see what people are experiencing. Decided to use small names and single file folder.

Hey Helgi,

Yeah with Keyword collections and notes, I should be all set.

Thanks everyone.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on May 9, 2017 at 12:14:53 pm

If you think of Keywords as "zip code" and notes as "address" you'll do well in organizing. Putting too much granularity into keywords can create a real mess organizationally , putting the same granularity into notes does not.

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on May 9, 2017 at 2:42:42 pm

Yeah, that's just about how I'm proceeding. Have about 1000 clips broken into 20 keyword collections, and using notes for detailed descriptions that are searchable. Works very well to find what I need quickly. I have some keyword collections I no longer need, but wondered if deleting a keyword collection deletes all the clips in that keyword collection, or just removes that keyword from browser?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on May 9, 2017 at 3:08:06 pm

[Matt Wilson] "I have some keyword collections I no longer need, but wondered if deleting a keyword collection deletes all the clips in that keyword collection, or just removes that keyword from browser?"

Just removes the keyword. The clips still exist in the event.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on May 9, 2017 at 3:54:17 pm

Cool-thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]