FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deleting Clips in Browser deletes the original Source Footage? What happened to Non-Destructive idea?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Wilson
Deleting Clips in Browser deletes the original Source Footage? What happened to Non-Destructive idea?
on May 2, 2017 at 4:48:26 am

Hi all - maybe someone more experienced can help me.

I was reading an Apple support page that said that "When you delete a clip or a project from an event, or delete an entire event, the source media files are moved to the Trash". I ask because I brought in a whole SD card of files, with maybe 90 video clips, and there's a few clips I don't need. How do I get rid of them from my project, event, and library, without erasing the actual source media on my external hard drive?

Here's the link to that Apple support page. https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12768?locale=en_US

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Deleting Clips in Browser deletes the original Source Footage? What happened to Non-Destructive idea?
on May 2, 2017 at 7:57:55 am

Ok, your original SD card media won't be deleted by this process. What WILL happen depends on a couple of factors.

When you imported, did you: Copy Files to Library or Leave Files in Place?

If the former, you'll have duplicate media for all your imported clips which will exist in the library. Those clips will be moved to the trash. But these are copies. The original SD card media exists on your drive wherever you put it.

If the latter, only the links to the original media will be trashed. The original SD card media again won't be touched.

If you transcode Optimized and/or Proxy media from your imported files, those transcoded files will also be trashed. But again, these are transcoded copies of your original media.

You'll get a warning when you attempt to delete a clip that tells you that original files on the drive will not be touched.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
Re: Deleting Clips in Browser deletes the original Source Footage? What happened to Non-Destructive idea?
on May 2, 2017 at 8:42:26 am

Very good explanation. I wish Apple was this clear in their support pages! Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]