FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues exporting from FCPX for SD UK TV

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Gregory
Issues exporting from FCPX for SD UK TV
on Apr 24, 2017 at 9:40:27 am

Hi,

I've recently started work with a TV station here in the UK and am having difficulties exporting my final file for transmission -

My file delivery specs are as follows -

Format - Mpeg2
Stream Type - Program Stream Main Profile@main level
Video Bitrate - CBR minimum 8 Mbps but preferably 10mbps or above
Image Size - 720x576
Video Standard: PAL
Frame Rate - 25fps
Frame Type - Interlaced
Field Dominance - Top Field First
Chroma Format - 4:2:0
GOP Structure - Closed GOP, sequence headers on every GOP
GOP format - IBBP
GOP Length - 15 Frames
Audio Mode - 2 Channel Stereo
Audio Type - Mpeg Layer 2
Audio Bit Rate - 192 kbps
Frequency - 48khz
Audio level - can't peak above -10 dbfs. Aim between -18-10

I have no sound issues just with the picture so this is what I have been doing and its been giving me a stretched picture or boarders around the edges of the video.

1. - I create a new project file and change the video format to PAL SD which automatically switches the Resolution to the required 720x576 with a 25fps that is interlaced.

2. I then drag and drop into that project whatever finished edit i have usually a 720 mov HD file

3. I then export/share it as a master file

4. I then use my old version of compressor from Final Cut Studio 3 to make a program stream mpeg 2, and make sure to switch the aspect ratio to 16x9

However when I send this through to the compliance people they tell me the picture has boarders on it or that the picture is stretched. I'm sure I'm doing something simple wrong and there is a much simpler way as our other editor uses Adobe and is currently off sick for the foreseeable future

Thanks in advance
Neil Gregory

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Issues exporting from FCPX for SD UK TV
on Apr 24, 2017 at 6:43:54 pm

[Neil Gregory] "4. I then use my old version of compressor from Final Cut Studio 3 to make a program stream mpeg 2, and make sure to switch the aspect ratio to 16x9"

Why are you doing this? When you did step 1, you either ended up with a center cut or a letterboxed 4:3 image, right? So why are you surprised that switching a 4:3 to 16:9 ends up with some sort of distortion?

Does SD Pal broadcast even accept 16:9 anamorphic? That's DVD widescreen format. Seems like if you're doing SD, you make it 4:3 SD. But if they do accept some sort of anamorphic widescreen, then you would need to start with an anamorphic timeline so that FCP X can apply the right distortion in step 1. But if they don't accept anamorphic, it's just going to end up stretched a different way.

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Apr 24, 2017 at 8:28:39 pm

I don't think there's any 4.3 transmission in U.K. - they'll almost certainly want 16.9 Full Height Anamorphic

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Apr 28, 2017 at 10:14:04 pm

I deliver SD PAL MPEG 2 to to stations here in Australia all the time but my memory doesn't go back far enough to be able to help with a version of Compressor that old.

Which leads me to ask, why are you using an ancient version of Compressor to deliver this?

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Neil Gregory
on May 1, 2017 at 7:18:27 pm

Hi Jeff,

One of the reasons I'm still using the old version of Compressor is our company is very small and I'd have to pay for the software myself so i want to make sure that I definitely need it before buying it, but from the sounds of your reply it looks like i'll be buying it.

I'm guessing you are converting 1080/720 files in mpeg 2 transport streams, what is your process?
Do you have to have the sequence settings set to PAL SD or is it just done with a droplet in compressor?

Thanks in advance
Neil

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on May 1, 2017 at 9:02:24 pm

These days there's only a couple of stations that still want SD so I tend to edit at 1080p.

Any presets I make in Compressor are directly available inside FCPX so I'll often just export multiple copies of my timeline straight from FCPX to cover the various formats stations want (MXF, MP4, SD anamorphic) along with a 1080p master. Other times I'll send the timeline to Compressor and just batch all the other options from there.

The current Compressor is both faster and higher quality than the older versions - and it's relatively cheap - so it's well worth getting.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Neil Gregory
on May 22, 2017 at 8:19:30 am

Thanks Jeff,

Got the new version of compressor up and running and everything works as is!

Cheers
Neil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]