FORUMS: list search recent posts

Display LUT in FCPX? Color Finale?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Loria
Display LUT in FCPX? Color Finale?
on Apr 23, 2017 at 12:43:03 am

Hey everyone,

Was thinking of ditching davinci for FCPX as editing/grading suite. However, I use the display LUT feature in resolve to see my colors accurately for grading. How/what would be the best way to use a monitor calibration LUT in FCPX? i.e: lightspace calibration/LUT creation > use the LUT as a layer in Colour Finale? Or is there a plugin or FCPX feature I am unaware of?

Thanks in advance

PS. I posted this topic in the "grading" forum as well. Not sure which forum would be best. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Display LUT in FCPX? Color Finale?
on Apr 23, 2017 at 8:45:03 pm

Depends entirely on the workflow- some camera LUTs are built in (ARRI Alexa e.g.) and can be toggled in the inspector. Others would require a 3rd party plugin to display such as https://www.motionvfx.com/mplugs-107.html

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Joe Loria
on Apr 23, 2017 at 9:30:43 pm

Here's my situation, I have a computer monitor (lg 31mu97), which claims 97% dci. From my understanding (and previous attempts) , I can't simply calibrate this monitor using the on-display controls as I will never get an accurate result. Using a 3D LUT within my software is my best bet. Unfortunately, I'm on a tight budget at this point and can't shell out another 1k for an external I/o device. My workaround for this was to calibrate my display using light space, creating a P3 LUT which I use in Davinci resolves "display LUT " option. This allows me to do all my grading accurately within resolve. Wondering if there is a way to do this within FCPX. My apologies if I didn't make my situation clear ☹ I'm fairly new to grading. :)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 23, 2017 at 9:37:39 pm

Sure MLUT will- but you're really shooting in the dark w that workflow.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Joe Loria
on Apr 23, 2017 at 9:55:00 pm

I am??? Could you elaborate please? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 24, 2017 at 12:24:47 am

Well it sounds like you are approximating a Rec709 output via RGB in place of a proper i/o interface. That's not the ideal way to achieve a properly calibrated color grade.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Joe Loria
on Apr 24, 2017 at 12:34:35 am

Im lost lol. I here one thing on one thread and another here. Light space users told me they grade with a similar setup to mine, but now I'm not too sure. Thanks for the responses.

Return to posts index

Francois Jean
on Apr 24, 2017 at 3:19:26 pm

Since you already have this computer monitor that you want to correctly calibrate, the only solution that i can think of is the use of a hardware LUT box ... most of then are SDI so a 4K HDMI LUT box can be difficult to find...

You must use a calibrating device with this external LUT box to calibrate your monitor.
I did find an HD HDMI to HDMI LUT box...but I don't know that brand:
http://www.lightillusion.com/eecolor_lut_box.html
This could resolve your problematic.

Using LUT plugins in or above the timeline to try calibrate your monitoring is not a good option.

My two cents or less...

FRANCOIS

Return to posts index

Joe Loria
on Apr 24, 2017 at 8:54:43 pm

Thanks Francoise!

I saw your reply over on FCP as well, thanks for the response. It seems my options are limited and I misunderstood the equipment necessary for a good grade. Steve Shaw (creator of lightspace) over at light illusion said my setup was viable and plenty of people grade that way. However I'm beginning to think I should either purchase a monitor with internal LUT capability or purchase a decklink along with a 4K LUT box?

Return to posts index

Ben Neufeld
on May 19, 2017 at 12:38:15 am

I use the same workflow though with an ultrastudio mini monitor, which is not capable of loading luts. Just tried using color finale in FCPX to load the display lut that resolve uses and put it on an adjustment layer above my whole timeline, works fine.

Ben

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]