FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adjust clip gain or clip volume during FCPX edit, if ultimately mixing audio in Audition (or other DAW)?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Wilson
Adjust clip gain or clip volume during FCPX edit, if ultimately mixing audio in Audition (or other DAW)?
on Apr 20, 2017 at 7:43:56 am

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some advice from some veterans and those in the know! I'm editing a 2 hr film in FCPX and once the edit is done, I will be taking it into Adobe Audition for the audio mix. As I'm doing my edit in FCPX, if I want a clip louder or quieter, should I be using the gain effect to change a clip's gain, or should I be using the volume adjustment (by sliding the line within the clip)? My goal is to be able to make sure that as I go into Audition, that I have the ability to create the best quality audio, as well as have the most flexibility. ot sure if it's better to adjust gain or volume in this case. Any advice?

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Adjust clip gain or clip volume during FCPX edit, if ultimately mixing audio in Audition (or other DAW)?
on Apr 20, 2017 at 2:55:33 pm

Depending on how you get the project to audiotion it shouldn't matter as you'll remix there. That said, unless you have something specific in mind there's no mixing quality to be has in audition you couldn't achieve in X.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
Re: Adjust clip gain or clip volume during FCPX edit, if ultimately mixing audio in Audition (or other DAW)?
on Apr 20, 2017 at 5:54:47 pm

Thanks Noah for feedback.

I was under the impression that the noise reduction capacity in Audition was somewhat better than FCPX, as well as the options to more types of equalizers in Audition. So with that in mind, I was trying to maintain quality as I transfer project from FCPX to Audition so didn't know if gain adjustment is better or level adjustment is better? I also wanted the ability to have all my audio adjustments that I make in FCPX visible when I take the project into Audition, as well as be able to modify them in Audition, so not sure if gain adjustments "bake in"...vs clip volume levels which may stay adjustable?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Rick Foxx
on Apr 20, 2017 at 8:48:40 pm

I typically do all of my volume adjustments directly on the clips dragging the control over the waveform. However, I always reset all the audio levels to 0db before exporting role-based stems for import into Audition. My preference is to have a clean slate when I start my audio mixing.

Having said that, with FCPX 10.3, the application has finally matured to the point that I could probably do 90% of the work I used to have to do in Audition. There are still some missing pieces like a mixer (what can I say, I'm old school), the ability to sidechain compression, and more granular controls for noise reduction. One of these days, I might get around to actually doing a complete mix in FCPX.

2013 MacPro 6 core 3.5 gHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2012 rMacBook Pro, Areca ARC-8050, Final Cut X, Adobe Production Premium CS6, Logic X

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 21, 2017 at 2:26:14 am

Yeah I guess it comes down to what's most important. Once you jump to audition you lose the ability to continue to refine the picture edit. I rarely find myself limited creativly/quality wise by FCPX's audio capabilities. Unless you are contractually bound to turnover mix ready stems to a sound department you can do great final mixed directly in X.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Apr 21, 2017 at 3:05:38 am

Noah/Rick,

Thanks guys for helping me round out my ideas. I think I'm all set. I appreciate your thoughts.

Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]