FORUMS: list search recent posts

10.3.2 - What is this?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Tillman
10.3.2 - What is this?
on Apr 13, 2017 at 5:53:25 am

Hi Everyone,

New user, first post. I'm in the middle of a project that's driving me nuts. I upgraded to 10.3.2 recently and the problem that's paramount is an aspect ratio issue. I have a multitude of 16x9 1080p clips with a couple of SD 4:3 clips mixed in for an effect I'm doing. Problem is, FCP is orienting everything vertically as if I am dealing with Iphone video. There is also an icon on the screen of every clip that indicates where the video is in relation to the center of the screen. It too shows that the video is vertical instead of horizontal like it should be.

Here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing. I don't know what this icon is called and how to get rid of it. If I knew what it was called then I could research how to orient my clips. Can someone help?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 10.3.2 - What is this?
on Apr 13, 2017 at 6:55:30 am

Make sure the project settings are 1920x1080 and not 1080x1920.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Apr 13, 2017 at 3:34:39 pm

[Joe Tillman] "Problem is, FCP is orienting everything vertically as if I am dealing with Iphone video. There is also an icon on the screen of every clip that indicates where the video is in relation to the center of the screen. It too shows that the video is vertical instead of horizontal like it should be."

As Noah mentioned, your project is set for vertical video - probably because the first clip you inserted into the timeline was vertical. If you select the project in the browser, you'll see at the top of the inspector where you can modify the project settings to the correct size/orientation - you won't be able to change frame rate unless the timeline is empty.

The icon is simply a reference to what's visible in the viewer vs. the entire canvas. It is reference for you only, and doesn't write to the finished output. To see the entire canvas in the viewer, set it to 'Fit' in the upper right (next to the 'View' dropdown).

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Joe Tillman
on Apr 13, 2017 at 7:52:59 pm

Holy smokes! I thought Noah's suggestion was silly because I already saw 1920 and 1080. Then I looked at it again after I read this and BAM! It was reversed. How the Hell does that happen???

Thank you, Noah!

Thanks to you, too, Doug for chiming in. My first clip is 1920x1080. I read about that already but it didn't apply. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 15, 2017 at 2:32:16 pm
Last Edited By Bret Williams on Apr 15, 2017 at 2:53:31 pm

It's not (edit "just") a reference. It's also tool to drag around the viewer without switching to the hand tool. It only appears when part of the image is obscured by the interface.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Apr 17, 2017 at 6:47:15 pm

[Bret Williams] "It's not (edit "just") a reference. It's also tool to drag around the viewer without switching to the hand tool. It only appears when part of the image is obscured by the interface."

Indeed... just wanted to assure Joe that it wasn't a watermark that would 'print' to output.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Joe Tillman
on Apr 22, 2017 at 5:01:55 am

Thanks again, guys, for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]