FORUMS: list search recent posts

Freeze frame - bug or WAD in 10.3.2

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Eaton
Freeze frame - bug or WAD in 10.3.2
on Apr 11, 2017 at 8:04:30 pm
Last Edited By Lawrence Eaton on Apr 11, 2017 at 8:06:59 pm

Does freeze frame - opt+F have a bug in it or is it WAD?

I've just waded into hell with this after spending a couple of hours extending the ending of various clips with freeze frames to find that what has actually happened is that I now have more instances than I care to mention of the first two seconds of my project.

I've restarted FCPX - nada
I've restarted FCPX and wiped the prefs - nada
I've restarted my MBP - works once but then I get the same thing
I've reset the PRAM on my MBP to no joy.

Am I simply missing something here?

Workflow: go to end of clip using down arrows, then back up until last frame shows; then with clip selected and last frame in viewer, I press Opt+F and have 2 second freeze frame appended to clip.

Help.

Lawrence

as an aside, I've begun to exporting the last frame out and then reimporting it and appending it to the clip I need... works! but the question I have is WHY? When freeze frame should be doing the job????

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Freeze frame - bug or WAD in 10.3.2
on Apr 11, 2017 at 8:58:33 pm

[Lawrence Eaton] "Does freeze frame - opt+F have a bug in it or is it WAD?

I've just waded into hell with this after spending a couple of hours extending the ending of various clips with freeze frames to find that what has actually happened is that I now have more instances than I care to mention of the first two seconds of my project."

Can you please explain what is actually happening? I don't understand. You made freeze frames and they don't work?

There's also a "hold" function in time remapping which is easy to use. Go to the frame, press shift-h (default command) and FCP adds a timed hold frame, which you can then adjust.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Apr 11, 2017 at 10:40:19 pm

[Lawrence Eaton] "Workflow: go to end of clip using down arrows, then back up until last frame shows; then with clip selected and last frame in viewer, I press Opt+F and have 2 second freeze frame appended to clip."

I do this all the time, and have never seen what you're describing. Always works properly.

Could your keyboard shortcut be swapped with something else? Oh, wait - hang on...

[Lawrence Eaton] "...what has actually happened is that I now have more instances than I care to mention of the first two seconds of my project."

So you're in the timeline (project), playhead parked where you want to freeze the current frame, hit Opt+F, and Bang! First two seconds of your timeline are appended at the playhead. Is that correct?

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Lawrence Eaton
on Apr 11, 2017 at 11:25:57 pm

Doug,

In a word, "YES".

Jeremy,
I wish I could show you right now, what has happened, but it will have to wait until tomorrow morn, until I get behind the wheel again. I'll record what's happening and post the video of it. I think that's the easiest way to show what's going on.

Many thanks,

Lawrence

Return to posts index

Lawrence Eaton
on Apr 14, 2017 at 3:49:30 pm

I'm posting what I think is wrong and hoping that it's me and not the app - probably, more my workflow than anything else, I'm guessing.

11252_freezeframei.mov.zip

Lawrence

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Apr 14, 2017 at 4:14:00 pm

I've had a look at your clip, and see that you've got audio in the primary, and your visuals are part of a connected secondary storyline. A few questions:

- When you add the freeze frame, the secondary jumps to make room for something else. Is this due to another clip connected to the primary further down the line?

- Could you try moving the audio track out of the primary and putting your visuals there? Maybe a different result...

- Do you have those slides as individual images? Looks like they're video - how were they recorded?

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Lawrence Eaton
on Apr 16, 2017 at 11:43:55 pm

Doug, Jeremy,

Thank you for your questions:

I'll try and answer all in this one posting.

The movie was made by Keynote>export>Quicktime movie>1080 ( I believe you have little control over it at that point other than have 5 second holds in each slide and a 2 second transition between them)

When you add the freeze frame, the secondary jumps to make room for something else. Is this due to another clip connected to the primary further down the line?
There's no other clips in the timeline. It's one of the things that has been puzzling me.

Could you try moving the audio track out of the primary and putting your visuals there? Maybe a different result...
I did and the result was that it worked the same as when the video was in the primary storyline.

Do you have those slides as individual images? Looks like they're video - how were they recorded? They are video: exported from Keynote as a quicktime movie 1080. I'm coming to the conclusion that I will have to maximize and Cmd+Shift+3 on everyone; or, change the extension in Cmd+i to .zip; confirm that I want it as that and then unpack it to get the high quality individual slides.

Jeremy:
Have you tried match framing from the timeline (Shift-f) and then option-f from there? This will connect it as a freeze frame instead of place it in your secondary. No I haven't and I sure as heck will!

Also, have you tried the hold method? Navigate to the last frame, and then hit shift-h to hold the frame. I tried shift+H, but I think I'd have to start at the end and work backwards - which, believe me is not such a biggie as it may seem, I'd just hoped I could, I suppose "Get away" with doing it the way I wanted ☺

Gentlemen, Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.... I'm going back in.

Lawrence

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 14, 2017 at 8:23:23 pm

[Lawrence Eaton] "I'm posting what I think is wrong and hoping that it's me and not the app - probably, more my workflow than anything else, I'm guessing."

Thanks for posting the video.

I have the same question as Doug, how was that powerpoint movie created?

Have you tried match framing from the timeline (Shift-f) and then option-f from there? This will connect it as a freeze frame instead of place it in your secondary.

Also, have you tried the hold method? Navigate to the last frame, and then hit shift-h to hold the frame.

Return to posts index

Fedor von Hengstenberg
on Apr 21, 2017 at 9:15:21 am

Just my 2 cents: I've had minor freeze frame issues in the past once in a while, where the freeze frame was generated from a completely different frame than the one I was trying to freeze. In these cases this helped: Zoom into the timeline, go to the last frame of the clip you want to freeze, and then move the playhead backwards 5 to 10 frames with the mouse, and when you reach that point click once while pressing the alt key to make sure that playhead and skimmer are at the same point. Then choose "add freeze frame" from the dropdown menu. For me this works. Maybe you could also try to disable skimming because I suspect that this strange behavior might have something to do with the skimmer position, but I did not try that out yet.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Eaton
on Apr 21, 2017 at 10:33:29 am

Fedor,

Ironically enough, it was just one of the things that I happened upon yesterday, too. Although I must admit, the disabling of the skimmer was something I hadn't got to. But yes, instead of using the exact final frame I went backwards as long as I could and then used opt+F and it worked a charm.
In my case and going forward though, I will be making my workflow as simple as possible and only using images, in work like this.

Many thanks though,

Lawrence

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]