FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Workflow: When to apply the LUT?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jt Billings
FCPX Workflow: When to apply the LUT?
on Apr 9, 2017 at 10:52:50 pm

Hi community,

This is my first of many posts, I'm sure. I'm sorry if this has already been covered but I couldn't find a thread that answers my question. I am preparing to cut a feature shooting on a Red Dragon and will be cutting in FCPX. My workflow will be to import and transcode to proxy media within FCPX before editing.

I have installed the mLUT plugin my MotionVFX and I need to know whether I should apply these LUTS before or after transcoding to proxy. For instance, which workflow makes the most sense? Does it even matter? Do I need to apply a LUT to the 4K raw footage and then again to the proxy footage? Etc.

Option 1:
Import RED into FCPX > apply LUT to 4K footage > transcode to proxy media (does the LUT get baked in?)

Option 2:
Import RED into FCPX > transcode to proxy media > apply LUT to proxy media (if I were to revert back to 4k footage for an export, do I lose the LUT?)

Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: FCPX Workflow: When to apply the LUT?
on Apr 9, 2017 at 11:46:21 pm

[Jt Billings] "Option 1:
Import RED into FCPX > apply LUT to 4K footage > transcode to proxy media (does the LUT get baked in?)"
Yes, the LUT get's baked in. You probably don't want this.
[Jt Billings] "Option 2:
Import RED into FCPX > transcode to proxy media > apply LUT to proxy media (if I were to revert back to 4k footage for an export, do I lose the LUT?)"
No, you don't loose the LUT because it is applied to the Clip which can be sourced from proxy or original media so when FCP X swaps out the proxies for the original media, all of the FX remain on the Clip. I believe this is what you want.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 9, 2017 at 11:47:55 pm

I've done a number of RED-originated films and my suggestion is to forget all about LUTs. Most of the time they are useless. Bring the RED raw footage into FCPX with the settings set to "as shot". This should not look flat. Let FCPX create proxies and edit with those. When the cut is locked, switch to optimized media and export an FCPXML. Take that to Resolve and color correct and render there. Then send that back to FCPX for final titles, sounds, etc.

Out of curiosity, in your example, what does the LUT buy you?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jt Billings
on Apr 9, 2017 at 11:54:01 pm

Thank you both for your help!

Oliver, this is actually the only time I've considered using a LUT. Normally when I import footage from other cameras, it looks just fine in FCPX and I don't have to worry about LUTs. I was under the impression that bringing in RED footage into FCPX, everything would appear flat and desaturated.

I'm not sure where to find the import setting "as shot," but if you've found no problem with flat footage in your experience, then I will certainly forget about the LUT altogether. It would save me extra steps (especially because I'd have to apply the LUT to every Individual clip in the timeline).

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 10, 2017 at 1:11:54 am

[Jt Billings] "I was under the impression that bringing in RED footage into FCPX, everything would appear flat and desaturated.
I'm not sure where to find the import setting "as shot," but if you've found no problem with flat footage in your experience, then I will certainly forget about the LUT altogether."

OK, first thing, is to make sure you have downloaded and installed the Apple workflow plug-in from the Red.com support page. This lets you bring RED footage into FCPX. Depending on the settings used by the DP, the footage may or may not look flat. Since they are recording raw, odds are they set it to look correct on a monitor. This means when you bring it into X it will appear with the settings used in camera at the time it was recorded. You can alter those settings in X if needed. Simply click "modify RED raw settings" in the inspector and make changes from the floating menu.

That's what I meant by "as shot". Sorry if I worded that incorrectly. There's not actually a setting that says that. Hopefully this helps.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jt Billings
on Apr 10, 2017 at 1:15:18 am

You answered my question and then some! Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 10, 2017 at 1:16:02 am

You're welcome.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]