FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hard Links

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Hard Links
on Apr 6, 2017 at 3:27:13 am

I realize this is a basic question but just need some clarification regarding hard links. I plan on adding external storage location and was wondering if consolidating into another storage location on the same drive whether there would be hard links or a new set of files would be created taking up additional drive space. Also, was wondering if this rule applies to consolidating into a library or another external storage location on the same drive. My understanding is the hard link points to an inode in addition to the content not the file name. Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Hard Links
on Apr 6, 2017 at 12:32:08 pm

[David Mathis] " I plan on adding external storage location and was wondering if consolidating into another storage location on the same drive whether there would be hard links or a new set of files would be created taking up additional drive space."

If you consolidate into the library on the same drive, it will appear as though media is actually inside the library, but these are just links. Therefore this "copy" process is quite fast. The library size will appear large, because it contains "embedded" media, although there is no true duplicated media in there yet. However, once you copy that library to a different drive, it will copy with actual media reflecting the true file size of the library with its embedded media.

So, on the same drive, the consolidated library might reflect 1TB in size, when, in fact, it really only takes up 100MB of capacity. But when you copy it to another drive, the copy is true the full 1TB of drive space, because it's then actually copying the linked media.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]