FORUMS: list search recent posts

best practices in setting graphics timings in bin?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
best practices in setting graphics timings in bin?
on Apr 3, 2017 at 9:06:39 pm

So I have some long lectures where I need to add many, many powerpoint slides.

I'm looking for keyboard shortcuts, procedures, etc. to pre-set the duration of each targa file slide while it's in the bin. I'd like a default duration per still of 36 seconds. Then I want to flick them in numerical order right to a spot on the timeline, instead of my old way of dragging and dropping onto the timeline, then adjusting. Any speed tips appreciated.

Teach me?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: best practices in setting graphics timings in bin?
on Apr 4, 2017 at 4:17:48 am

Still duration is set in Preferences. The rest is drag/drop or use an edit keyboard shortcut.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Helgi Thor
on Apr 4, 2017 at 1:08:03 pm

And if you want to change the duration once in the timeline, select the clips, hit ctrl-D an input the desired duration.
Another tip is use the timeline index to select the clips, you can search for specific name and then select them all. Very handy if the clips are non-contiguous.

--
Helgi Thor
Editor
Fortaleza
Brazil

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Apr 4, 2017 at 1:54:56 pm

Dunno if you've already shot the lectures, but if you haven't - we do a fair bit of this, and have settled on this approach.

What you end up with is an "almost automated" way to have a presenter PiP with the slides. The "2 box" PiP is a plugin to fly the "2 box" on & off screen. End result:

Shoot the presenter in MS to MWS (MS if locked to a podium, MWS if walking). Shoot the presentation screen with any old camera. Audience, etc, cams as desired. Multicam the shots. In edit, scrub through the multicam, with the presentation screen angle showing. Connect edit the slide stills, easily aligning stills with presentation cam (which shows the slide changes by the presenter). When done (it's fast, as it's a totally visual process, no listening) grab the stills and drag them below the multicam. Cut your multicam, don't worry about the slide cam. If it's just the single cam of the presenter, even easier.

Now blade the multicam at the points the connected slides change. Drop the Motion-created "2 box" effect plugin onto the portions of the multicam you need slides. I made this in an hour or so, and it's a huge time saver.

It's got fly in/out options, a pop-up to select backgrounds, and some other controls. I just labelled it enough so I'd remember what it does. 😉 Top drop zone is for the slide, uses the connected clip slides from below the timeline - just click & apply, done. Bottom drop zone is in case you want to use an image (or video) as BG to the rest. In the above sample I use the gradated BG.

When I want the slide full screen, copy & paste the connected slide from below the timeline to above, and use a dissolve. The build option pushes the presenter video down & to the side while the BG and slide push on.

Anyway, it may sound a bit convoluted, but in practice it's wicked fast.

PS - some may prefer drop shadows, boxes with perspective, etc, but in practice we find this sort of video is all about the content. So we want to present the slides as large as possible, and try to break up the visual boredom by having the presenter in a smallish box. For complex slides we dissolve to full screen slide.

PPS - one of these days I'll mod this plug so I can move the presenter video in the box. Right now that would screw up the fly on/off keyframes. If I'm really bored, maybe a TrackX integration so the presenter is Mocha-tracked in the box. :)

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
CMX-Quantel-Avid-Premiere-FCPX-AFX-Crayola
"What a long strange trip it's been...."

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Apr 4, 2017 at 2:01:02 pm

I should've said - the above can be done without the plugin aspect, of course. The basic idea of using a "slide reference cam" to visually edit stills to a presentation timeline is the key. The plugin just makes the rest of it as easy as the basic edit.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 4, 2017 at 4:55:48 pm

An ATEM Studio would be my choice if I had to do these more than once a month.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 4, 2017 at 6:19:33 pm

Bob, I've been doing variations of your technique since God was an intern. But this is not the situation I'm in. I've got a one-camera timeline and a bunch of slides and I just want to be faster and more precise laying them down.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Apr 4, 2017 at 8:28:08 pm

Don't change the durations in the browser. Assuming the clips are named in sequence, click the first and shift clip the last.
Place the playhead where you want the group to start in the timeline. Hit the q key to attach to primary. Drag select all clips. Hit Command G to make a secondary storyline then Control D and set them all to the duration you want (you said you want them to default to 36 seconds). If I understand what you are trying to do this should do it. No need to drag anything or change individual clips unless you do not what them all the same length.

Return to posts index

Fedor von Hengstenberg
on Apr 24, 2017 at 8:47:39 am

Mark,
this might not be the solution for your problem, but once in a while I have to edit corporate webinars. Then I have i) a video or audio file of the presenter, ii) PNGs of the slides, iii) an in/out-timepoint list for the slides. What I do is to place the audio/video clip into the primary, then go through the in/out list and hit M to set markers at each point which takes only very few minutes. Afterwards, I go back to the start of the storyline, choose the range tool, range markers 1 and 2, choose the first PNG from the browser and hit Q. That connects the PNG with the exact length of the range. Then I range between 2 and 3, choose PNG 2 and hit Q, and so on. Very fast. At least, sufficiently fast for me ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]