FORUMS: list search recent posts

What OS are you running?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Hancock
What OS are you running?
on Mar 22, 2017 at 7:34:02 pm

It's about time for me to do a complete reinstall of my OS and apps, but wanted to see which OS others are running. I'm currently on El Cap 10.11.6, and my primary apps are FCPX, the Adobe suite, and Resolve.

Are there any good reasons to move up to Sierra? What OS are you running, and why that version?

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: What OS are you running?
on Mar 22, 2017 at 8:45:55 pm

All Sierra here, both at my primary freelance client's location and at home. No issues, but also no compelling reason to upgrade, unless there's something you can't move to because of the OS version. Remember that there'll be another update sometime this year (probably), so you might as well move to Sierra now, as it's had time to get reasonably solid. Of course, the usual problem children are plug-ins and their compatibility issues.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Mar 22, 2017 at 9:04:57 pm

Thanks Oliver. I don't have a reason to move to Sierra, but like you said - might as well if it's solid. I don't have a lot of plugins that I use on a regular basis, so I don't think I'll need to worry about that.

I'll give Sierra a shot. If it gives me trouble I can always roll back. I keep thumb drives with every OS on them, just in case!

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Mar 23, 2017 at 1:50:48 pm

There is also an issue with Sierra and AFP when writing to older Synology NAS devices, to the point that you can't save an open file to the device. File transfers work fine though. I think it's got something to do with auto-save / versioning.

If you're running a Synology NAS that cannot be upgraded to DSM 6.x, you'll need to use SMB - and since it's an older DSM version, that is also problematic... much slower networking primarily. My 1GbE connection went from full saturation over AFP down to about 250 Mbps with SMB.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Mar 24, 2017 at 9:09:46 pm

No Synology NAS here to worry about, but I did find a show stopping bug for my system.

I make extensive use of X-Keys and the Logitech G13, programmed through Controllermate. Well, Sierra and Controllermate do not get along. Even the most updated version of Controllermate has major issues. Mouse movements aren't correct, mouse clicks don't register, half of the keyboard building blocks won't activate.

I have a client session to get through Monday, then Tuesday I'm wiping my system again and rolling back to El Capitan. If anyone is thinking of upgrading to Sierra and they rely on Controllermate, I highly recommend you wait.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]