FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fill a matte with a picture

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jerry wise
Fill a matte with a picture
on Mar 20, 2017 at 5:09:54 pm

i would like to fill a matte with a picture and be able to move and size the matte and move and size the picture that is inside the matte independent of each other. the resolution of the matte is smaller than 1920x1080 and the picture is larger than 1920x1080. The project is 1920x1080. i could do this with ease in FCP7 and with a bit more difficulty in PremiereCC.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Fill a matte with a picture
on Mar 20, 2017 at 5:52:26 pm

Do you have Motion? Create an adjustment layer effect.

In Motion start a new Title project, delete the title and save it in a custom category. Then in FCP, put your picture in the timeline. Add the adjustment layer as a title above your clip. Add the mask effect to the adjustment layer. Now you have a picture in the primary that you can size and adjust independent of the mask on the adjustment layer.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Mar 20, 2017 at 7:11:48 pm

Thanks Andy. I'll give that a try. So i gather that X does not have the ability to do what i want to do as a stand alone.

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Mar 20, 2017 at 8:31:48 pm

Could you just add a matte layer and then your pic layer and than select whichever one and resize?

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Mar 20, 2017 at 8:42:37 pm

[Brian Seegmiller] "Could you just add a matte layer and then your pic layer and than select whichever one and resize?"

That's what Andy was describing with the adjustment layer... if you simply apply a matte effect to the clip itself, you don't get the same type of interaction.

It would be fairly easy to build this effect in Motion, if I understand the question - it sounds like a simple drop zone with sizing / positioning parameters published.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Mar 20, 2017 at 9:12:06 pm

Not an effect but a solid layer.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Mar 20, 2017 at 9:31:36 pm

[Brian Seegmiller] "Not an effect but a solid layer."

The problem is that in FCPX, a matte _is_ an effect... applied directly to a clip, and not a solid layer in and of itself. Unless you're talking about creating a static image mask in Photoshop or similar, but I don't think Jerry was asking that question.

Andy described a method whereby you create a dummy text generator, which you can then place in the timeline like any other clip, apply effects to it, and which will in turn affect the clip directly beneath it. That's why he called it an adjustment layer - because that's how it behaves in this context.

Apologies if I am misunderstanding your response.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Mar 20, 2017 at 9:34:09 pm

That's ok, I am talking about a solid color generator.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 20, 2017 at 8:40:40 pm

No, you could always put the image in a compound (OPT+G), mask the compound and adjust the image size inside the compound. It's just not as elegant because you have to step into the compound to adjust the image which means not being able to see the mask while you do it.

In fact, you can also add a clip of black from the generators browser above your source clip and add the mask to that. You'll have to invert the mask to get the effect, but that'll also work. Not as easy as an adjustment layer, but it should work.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Mar 25, 2017 at 2:29:55 pm

If I understand what you are trying to accomplish, I believe this tutorial from Ripple Training should give you the steps that you want to follow. You would use your matte instead of the white title in the video but you can resize both as they show in the video:

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]