FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K Playback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Myreille Abaya
4K Playback
on Mar 17, 2017 at 6:59:53 pm

Playback is good for the most part, when I playback a drone footage in 4K, which plays back choppy. I have a 2011 Macbook Pro. What should I do to make the playback smooth?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: 4K Playback
on Mar 17, 2017 at 8:20:13 pm

[Myreille Abaya] "What should I do to make the playback smooth?"

Optimize the footage so it transcodes to ProRes. Or transcode before bringing into FCPX.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: 4K Playback
on Mar 17, 2017 at 9:13:07 pm

[Myreille Abaya] "Playback is good for the most part, when I playback a drone footage in 4K, which plays back choppy. I have a 2011 Macbook Pro."

4k H264 content is difficult to edit using almost any software on most computers, and especially on a 2011 Macbook Pro. It is 4x the data of 1080p, so in theory you'd need a computer 4x as fast to provide the same performance.

If you are using FCPX, there's a built-in facility to transcode that to proxy media -- either during import or afterwards. That will provide much better editing performance. You must remember to set the viewer to proxy, then before your final export set it back to optimized/original or it will export in proxy resolution.

Premiere Pro now has proxy capability, but I assume you are using FCPX since this is a FCPX forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]