FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding title and moving crop

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hayden Cohen
Adding title and moving crop
on Mar 12, 2017 at 7:10:33 am

Hi,

I'm trying to prepare a workflow for future videos and one major part of this is adding an overlay and moving a cropped shot.

It's easier to show you -

I created the graphics as a template in Motion and move the cropped shot to the right and back again using keyframes.

When I add the graphics, I want the moving of the cropped shot to the right and back again to happen automatically.

Can this be done?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hayden

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Adding title and moving crop
on Mar 12, 2017 at 6:10:14 pm

Sure anything you put into a drop zone can be animated.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Hayden Cohen
on Mar 13, 2017 at 11:32:56 am

Hi Noah,

What I'm meaning is that I'm wanting it to be in effect:

IF OrangeImageOverlayGraphic is added to clip
THEN move video frame to the right by x percentage or x no. of pixels at beginning of motion graphic
AND move video frame back to original graphic at end of motion graphic.

Does that make any sense?

Many thanks for your help

Hayden

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 13, 2017 at 3:23:18 pm

Yes Hayden you can do it.

You need to create your Motion template as a title. Titles affect backgrounds. In the title effect in Motion you'll see the background layer. Simply animate it left and right just as you wish. When you apply the title in FCP, it will move the background.

Make sense?

Return to posts index

Hayden Cohen
on Mar 13, 2017 at 3:31:12 pm

It does! I'll give it a go. Wish me luck.

Thanks so much for your help

Hayden

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 13, 2017 at 3:34:23 pm

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Hayden Cohen
on Mar 13, 2017 at 6:32:45 pm

I managed to do it, but have 1 final question. In FCPX I crop a 4k image so as to output in 1080p. All I want is for the crop x and y axis as well as the size to match before, after and during the title. This is so I can move the frame seemlessly. At the moment if I move the background in Motion, it is a different size to the FCPX canvas. Does that make any sense at all and can you advise?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 13, 2017 at 7:00:48 pm
Last Edited By Bret Williams on Mar 13, 2017 at 7:01:21 pm

As your image is bigger than the frame, I don't think you're cropping (or you're using it in the context of a printed photo) but panning and scanning. In any case, motion can't magically know the content of your image, so you'd still enlarge it and place it as you wish in FCPX. But you would automate the move left then the move back right with the Motion title effect.

If you're always scaling and positioning exactly the same, you could do it to the layer in Motion, but I think I'd just leave the pan and scan in FCPX and automate the tedious part, the keyframes, in Motion.

If that doesn't make sense perhaps I'm misunderstanding and you could share a screen recording.

Return to posts index

Hayden Cohen
on Mar 13, 2017 at 7:28:03 pm

I was overthinking it and making the canvas too big. I just needed to make it the same size. It now works fine. Thanks so much for helping me think through it.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Mar 14, 2017 at 1:28:44 pm

You might want to add "Build In" and "Build Out" markers. That way the animation in and animation out speed will remain the same if you change the length of the title. With keyframes, animation speed will scale with the length of the clip.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Hayden Cohen
on Mar 15, 2017 at 12:16:43 pm

Thanks Brett,

Already did this thanks to a creative cow video on YouTube!

Hayden

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]