FORUMS: list search recent posts

Collaborative editing on large-scale project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome Heiderscheidt
Collaborative editing on large-scale project
on Mar 10, 2017 at 5:12:27 pm

Hello all,

So, I'm in the middle of editing a feature with FCPX (still can't believe the production company gave me the OK to do it with FCPX).

So far it's been going great : the assistant editor prepares and synchronises the rushes and sends me a library for each shooting day. I just drag the shots to my editing project and that's it. Obviously we both use external cache & (identical) external media to keep library size down. That's all going great.

We've recently encountered a problem though. I asked the assistant to hunt down a few shots for me and place them in a timeline (project). So she made a library with the project and sent it to me. However, when I import the project into my own library, it creates duplicates of all multicam clips and points to those and not to the existing multiclips already present in my library (there is a lot of multicam in this film).

So the solution I found is to "reject" those multi clips so I don't see them anymore. However, we will soon be joined by a second editor , and we will probably be doing a lot of back and forth of projects between each other's libraries. Since this is a large-scale project with thousands of clips, we will probably be ending up with tons of duplicate multi clips, which will be pretty annoying.

Has anyone encountered this problem and found a solution ?

- Jerome

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Collaborative editing on large-scale project
on Mar 10, 2017 at 5:50:06 pm

Go through this document:

http://images.apple.com/final-cut-pro/docs/Media_Management.pdf

Read the last paragraph. I think it covers the issue.

Also a good series to watch (there are 5 episodes):

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1916-off-the-grid-a-modern-fcpx-re...

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jerome Heiderscheidt
on Mar 10, 2017 at 8:31:06 pm

Hello Olivier,

Thanks for your quick reply ! Actually I'd just read that document before posting, and I'm doing exactly what's described in there. I'll have a look at that video, thanks for the link, but I doubt that it covers multicam clips, which is the problem I'm having ...

- Jerome

Return to posts index

Helgi Thor
on Mar 14, 2017 at 4:11:04 pm

Jerome,

I think I saw this situation covered in one of those videos about collaboration and FCPX, probably with Sam Mestman or Michael Matzdorff. I recall there was an extra step you have to do before copying the project over to your library to avoid the duplicates, but I canĀ“t remember what it is, sorry.

Maybe you can try contact the guys at FCPXWORKS:
http://www.fcpworks.com/contact/

Please share if you find out.

--
Helgi Thor
Editor
Fortaleza
Brazil

Return to posts index

Jerome Heiderscheidt
on Mar 16, 2017 at 8:28:31 am

Hello Helgi,

Thanks for the hint. It gives me hope ! I will check it out as soon as I can (I still have one month to find the correct workflow before we start editing in 2 separate suites) and, of course, I will post my findings here.

- Jerome

Return to posts index

Jerome Heiderscheidt
on Mar 21, 2017 at 12:53:15 pm
Last Edited By Jerome Heiderscheidt on Mar 23, 2017 at 10:15:24 am

Hello again,

I've found the way to do it ! And the solution is very, very simple : it is just a matter of first moving or copying the project(sequence) to a new event within the first library, and then to copy or move the event to the second library. So you have to copy/move events NOT projects .

It's explained in this video, watch from 6 min 30 sec to 10' 30" (4 very useful minutes !) :

Thanks again Helgi and Oliver for your help !

- Jerome

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]