FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need a method to force replace all footage despite error message.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
Need a method to force replace all footage despite error message.
on Mar 9, 2017 at 5:11:01 am

Folks, I am using FCP X 10.3.2

A lot of my video has digital artifacts in that somehow occurred somewhere in the offloading from the cards and rewrapping to quicktime process. I have an edit and also have fresh rewrapped quicktime of the same footage without digital artifacts, but FCP X will not let me relink to those Quicktimes; giving me this error: "The original file and new file have no shared media range. when I try to relink one as a test.

Aside from doing this one clip at a time using FCPXChange, does anyone have any methods to relink to the good media which has the same audio, duration, file names and such, but FCP X just won't allow?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Need a method to force replace all footage despite error message.
on Mar 9, 2017 at 5:36:29 am

Nope unfortunately force relink is one of those features we've long requested.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 9, 2017 at 1:49:50 pm

For me (RED Eco), I just import everything under the sun if I lose connection.
Seems to work all the time.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Mar 9, 2017 at 2:16:47 pm

[Tangier Clarke] "A lot of my video has digital artifacts in that somehow occurred somewhere in the offloading from the cards and rewrapping to quicktime process."

If you've already imported all this stuff to FCPX and edited it, there may be nothing you can do except fix it and re-import, but it's important to understand what happened.

Do these artifacts only show up *after* re-wrapping, or are they visible in the original camera files if played in Quicktime or VLC? If they are there before rewrapping, it's obviously not an issue with either FCPX or EditReady.

If they only show up after rewrapping, I suggest you contact DivergentMedia (maker of EditReady) and discuss with them. They have excellent support. If you haven't updated your version of EditReady, rewrap some problematic content with that and evaluate. If the machine you rewrapped on does not have the latest 2.0.5 version of Apple Pro Video Formats, install that and evaluate: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1898?locale=en_US

I think you are using a C100 Mk I which produces AVCHD, so re-wrapping that is definitely a good idea. I've used EditReady a lot and I haven't see a case like this.

It would be interesting to compare the video file characteristics of the original AVCHD clip, a "bad" re-wrapped clip and a "good" re-wrapped clip. The Invisor utility lets you compare multiple files side-by-side in a spreadsheet format: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/invisor-media-file-inspector/id442947586?mt...

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Mar 9, 2017 at 5:24:43 pm

This is taken from another thread I started recently (https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/59/863089)

- Artifacts show up in Quicktime, FCP X (10.3 and previous version), VLC, any media player I've tried.
- When playing footage forward we don't see them (rarely). Playing them in reverse seems to show them much more.
- We're using macOS Sierra. Problem existed pre-sierra as well.
- The digital artifacts will still show up on our ProRes 422 exports.
- We generally qualified SDHC media by SanDisk.
- Frame rates are primarily 23.98.
- Some shoots we never see these artifacts and then suddenly they'll appear. It's inconsistent so we can't pin this down.
- Seems to be more prevalent in low light shoots, but not exclusive.
- We offload our cards (rewrap not transcode) using EditReady (KYNO testing in progress)
- The artifacts show up in the original , but not the proxies we make in FCP X.
- We've retired cards thinking it's the cards, but it still shows up on relatively new cards.
- It's showing up in both cameras on a multicam shoot, but not necessarily at the same moment for camera A and B.
- One C100 is new than the other by well over a year or two.

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Mar 9, 2017 at 5:31:17 pm

We recently determined that our C100s are not the problem. We think the problem may be KYNO as we were testing it. The problem is that we get inconsistent results so we can't nail it down wit confirmation, but EditReady has not given us rewrapped content with artifacts.

I've used the same cards that had the same footage using the same computer with built-in SD card slot and connected USB 3 card reader passed through an OWC Thunderbolt dock. Offloading those cards and rewrapping with EditReady gave us clean video. We had this issue in November/December of last year, but at the time didn't take not of which app we used when the offload happened. Would be great if that were some added metadata. Would even be better if FCP X would let me relink to the footage I want.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Mar 13, 2017 at 1:21:55 am

XML might be an option.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 13, 2017 at 10:17:45 pm

[Tangier Clarke] "Aside from doing this one clip at a time using FCPXChange, does anyone have any methods to relink to the good media which has the same audio, duration, file names and such, but FCP X just won't allow?"

Resolve.

Export a Project FCPXML out of FCP.

Open Resolve.

Add the GOOD footage to the Media Browser.

Import FCPXML to Resolve.

Resolve will automatically relink the media on the timeline to the media in the Media Browser if it all lines up (matching tc, etc).

Export FCPXML of the relinked timeline.

Import FCPXML to FCPX.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]