FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copy event to new HD-Missing Proxy error

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claude Lyneis
Copy event to new HD-Missing Proxy error
on Mar 8, 2017 at 4:30:47 pm

I copied an event from a library using the "copy event" command in FCPX to setup a new library with the event on an external hard drive using my desktop mac. I included copy proxy and render, just for good measure. All of the files in the original event were in the library. I opened the event on my portable. Except for music files everything is missing according to FCPX (missing proxy).
When I open the new library and look all of the original media is there. I tried to relink, but that didn't work. It is like it is missing some file that links everything together.

If some of the media was in the original library, but not in the event, could this be the problem? But even so wouldn't the original media that is in the event link properly?

Anyway, this a is irritating problem. Everything is still fine on the lap top.

Ideas, solutions?

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
Re: Copy event to new HD-Missing Proxy error
on Mar 8, 2017 at 5:13:29 pm

Update:
The problem appears to be with FCPX on the laptop, not with the event moved. FCPX can't import anything without getting the missing proxy symptom. So maybe I have to do a clean install of everything. I did trash X and download a fresh copy and I have updated to Sierra, all to no avail.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 8, 2017 at 6:03:29 pm

Try regenerating the proxies. Sometimes the file system breaks when you move media around in the finder. Next time do a Consolidation on the Project.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Mar 8, 2017 at 7:29:57 pm

Thanks. I didn't move anything in the finder. I used the "copy event" instruction inside of FCPX. Now I believe there is some kind of corruption or problem independent of this in my laptop version of x or the system, because I can't even import a simple file into x and open a new event.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 8, 2017 at 9:48:46 pm

Sounds like you need to-

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203477

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Mar 8, 2017 at 11:09:24 pm

It appears to be user setting related. I logged in under a new user name and was able to open a project. Apple seems vague on how to reset your user setting for x. In the old days there was a plist file that could be thrown away. How is it done in Sierra.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Mar 8, 2017 at 11:27:49 pm

To answer my own question. I found a 2014 Larry Jordan video on how to trash FCPX preferences. Seems to work.
https://larryjordan.com/articles/fcp-x-trash-preferences-video/

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 9, 2017 at 2:39:44 pm

Was in the support doc I provided in my previous reply as well...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Mar 9, 2017 at 5:06:43 pm

Noah:
I really appreciate your help yesterday. Fairly quickly following the document I was able to narrow the problem down to a likely plist problem using the link. From there I must have missed the link to how to trash the appropriate plist files or clicked on the wrong link. Anyway, some combination of Google and Cow got me to a Larry Jordan solution video on trashing the FCPX plist. Amazingly, it has been a couple years, since I have had to do that.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 10, 2017 at 5:44:23 am

No worries- when in doubt trash prefs.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved