FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bad performance with many subtitles

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Helgi Thor
Bad performance with many subtitles
on Mar 7, 2017 at 3:19:50 pm

I thought the 10.3.2 update fixed the bad performance with long projects, but I just imported an XML (made by Spherico XTI) with 1400 subtitles, 100 minutes long and every time I make a change I get 60+ seconds of spinning beach ball, totally unusable.
Any thoughts? What are your experience with long projects? Maybe it has to do with the many titles.
I went back to 10.2.3 and it's working normally.

If someone is willing to import the XML and see if they get the same behaviour, here's the link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2317395/Shaolin_French.fcpxml.zip

--
Helgi Thor
Editor
Fortaleza
Brazil

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
Re: Bad performance with many subtitles
on Mar 8, 2017 at 11:31:29 pm

Thanks for publihing the link.

So first it has nothing to do with my X-Title. You just can duplicate titles a few hundred times and get the same result.
This has been just a normal behavior for a long time - but with different delays.

I will upload another one with 3000 the next days. The ones who tested in a small group all thought FCP crashed, but it only needs 10 to 15 minutes to update.

It's kind of shame - FCP finally is the only NLE currently offering good tools to handle subtitles.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Helgi Thor
on Mar 10, 2017 at 4:19:52 pm

Thank you for your reply Andreas,

So the problem is with the number of titles, rather than the duration of the project, right?

I'm editing another feature now and at moment I have each scene in it's own event, but soon I'll be joining them in one master project and I'm worried about the performance. I don't really wanna go back to 10.2.

--
Helgi Thor
Editor
Fortaleza
Brazil

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Mar 12, 2017 at 6:27:39 pm

Helgi,

I did some more tests – and depending on character set (language), amount of titles and the "grouping" of titles can lead to massive performance difference. Up to something where FCPX is unusable.

Please contact me off-list to discuss the problem and possible solutions out of the public (I can't make the examples public).
This way we hopefully can deliver a solution for both the users and Apple to fix this.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]