FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to import a selection of a media file to FCPX, from my HD... not working.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shea Comfort
Trying to import a selection of a media file to FCPX, from my HD... not working.
on Mar 7, 2017 at 8:40:05 am

Hello Everyone,

I have just spent the past 3 hours researching this and have not found a clear answer to this question. Perhaps someone can help?

Am I understanding this correctly: I can import a selection of a large media file only if it is coming off of the card from my camera. But, not if the same file was copied to my hard drive?... If so, this is ridiculous.

Please let me know if this is true, or not.

Thank you.

~Shea

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Trying to import a selection of a media file to FCPX, from my HD... not working.
on Mar 7, 2017 at 3:46:28 pm

If it's a long-gop format such as h.264 from a dslr or a gopro- yes that is the case. You could first import to prores then export the segment you want to keep and reimport. But you have to ingest the whole source clip first.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Trying to import a selection of a media file to FCPX, from my HD... not working.
on Mar 7, 2017 at 8:22:21 pm

Wait...wait...

Noah, are you saying that one CANNOT import footage that one BACKED UP from a tapeless card? That is whack if that's the case. Seriously...the FIRST STEP in working with tapeless media in post is BACK UP THE CARD. Not only to location, but at least two. Back up first...and THEN import. So are you saying that FCX will not import media from a tapeless source UNLESS you do it directly from the card?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 7, 2017 at 10:54:44 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Mar 7, 2017 at 10:55:59 pm

Nope- I said you have to import the entire take from camera archive or direct off the card vs. only ingesting a specific range when it's a long-GOP format. For this reason I love to shoot ProRes native cameras like Blackmagic Ursas...

I can see how you could infer that from my post. (Actually I can't but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since we go back so far.)😇

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Shea Comfort
on Mar 8, 2017 at 1:58:28 am

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Not sure about other formats, but I am using a panasonic HC-X1000, and they are in .MOV format. I can only import the whole media file from the HD back-up, not select a portion that I actually want. Which sucks, because one of the files is really long because a camera was left running at the end of the concert... 20 min of useless footage.

I wiped the card after backing-up to the HD, so I can't test to see if from the card I can select a portion of the file to import. Classique. However, even if that works, I believe the best way to avoid problems is to always save to a back-up HD, then import the media from there. So even if that works, it is not a good way to do it.

Seems that this would be a basic feature in FCPX? Unpleasantly surprised at this.

Oh well.

~Shea

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Mar 8, 2017 at 4:56:46 am

If you get virtual cam card app from Spherico.com you can use that app to make FCPX think your .mov file is a cam card and then select a portion of the file you want to import.

I had a sh*t ton of .mov files from captured tapes that I needed to grab bits and pieces from for an edit, virtual cam card was the key app in that scenario.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 8, 2017 at 4:59:27 am

[Noah Kadner] "Nope- I said you have to import the entire take from camera archive or direct off the card vs. only ingesting a specific range when it's a long-GOP format. "

Ahhhh. I re-read the question and answer. Hoo boy, blew that one..

:)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]