FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deeply Discouraging, Media, Voiceover .IAF's Deleted or Gone from "Original Media" FCPx Folder

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Knapp
Deeply Discouraging, Media, Voiceover .IAF's Deleted or Gone from "Original Media" FCPx Folder
on Mar 5, 2017 at 2:45:16 am

I have had a disaster with Final Cut Pro X and an external data drive backing things up.

Somehow, I lost all the voiceover files that I recorded since the first of the year. I need to figure out how to ensure this doesn't happen again. It feels devastating. I don't have said files anywhere on any drives. It seems they were deleted and only aliases left in the "Original Media" folder that FCP has.

Here is a thread I found that must be similar to what happened to me:

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/4778

I need to make sure Data Backup isn't deleting newly recorded content on my source drive. All those voiceover files are now missing, from both the source and destination drives, and I can't figure out why, but find it a devastating loss of time and money, as all of those will need to have my client come in and re-record the audio which is lost.

A few days ago I started backing up Hard Drives with Prosoft Engineering's "Data Backup" program. I just sent them an email asking what might have been the issue.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Deeply Discouraging, Media, Voiceover .IAF's Deleted or Gone from "Original Media" FCPx Folder
on Mar 5, 2017 at 5:38:03 am

Have you considered a cloud backup for really critical files?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Shaun Knapp
Re: Deeply Discouraging, Media, Voiceover .IAF's Deleted or Gone from "Original Media" FCPx Folder
on Mar 5, 2017 at 9:03:31 am

I haven't.

This is totally baffling though. How and what would have deleted all of these files, and just left aliases in their place?

Return to posts index

Shaun Knapp
on Mar 5, 2017 at 9:58:23 am

Take a look at this lunatic file structure or location from the "relink media" dialogue box. This is insane.

To have all of these voiceovers just gone, is so disturbing. I'm still exploring to see if by some strange way, they are to be had somewhere, because I for sure didn't delete them, but they aren't in the "Original Media" folder on my hard drive nor the backup hard drive.

Return to posts index

Mike Fitzsimmons
on Mar 6, 2017 at 3:18:06 pm

Not sure and just guessing from you file link structure, but you might try FINDER>GO>GO TO FOLDER>/VAR/FOLDERS/JS. See if files reside here.

It might be that your files were saved into a "private" folder that is reserved for the system and the finder "can't see."

Just a guess, but if you search for the file names at the finder level or with FCPX, they will not be found if "hidden" in this manner.

Good luck!

Mike
'Burbs of Detroit

Return to posts index

Mike Fitzsimmons
on Mar 6, 2017 at 3:21:14 pm

Sorry, just saw below you might have done this already...

Mike
'Burbs of Detroit

Return to posts index

Shaun Knapp
on Mar 5, 2017 at 10:11:11 am

Just before making this post, after reading other posts, I recorded audio within FCP X, just to see where that file would go. As you can see, it is in the "T" folder deep into /var/folders/_______giberish______/T/

But it also went into the FCP "Original Media" folder as well, but all the other voiceovers recorded this year on this mammoth project are there, they are all missing.

Yeah, perplexing.

Are those files hiding somewhere on one of my drives? I loath having to have the voiceovers recordings done anew. Oh man, what a pain, time I don't have, nor my client.

Return to posts index

Shaun Knapp
on Mar 5, 2017 at 10:14:07 am

my voiceover files "aren't there" is what I'm sure I typed above, or intended to type, rather than "are" there.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 5, 2017 at 4:37:29 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Mar 5, 2017 at 4:58:29 pm

Still don't quite understand what you're asking about here. Files don't delete themselves.

Sounds more like you assumed that because aliases existed in one folder they represented actual files rather than pointers. So you or someone else or another app(?) deleted the originals by mistake and the pointers remain but now point to non-existing files. But how is this FCPX's fault?

Some 3rd party backup apps perform an archiving (ie compress/delete originals after backup) which can conflict with aliases. So this is a case of carefully reading the manual and disabling or exclusion rules so the backup app doesn't burn you. Like this one has it sounds like unfortunately.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Mar 5, 2017 at 7:03:33 pm

What version of FCPx are you using?
You referenced the events folder which sounds like a very old version. VO's normally record to the original media folder.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

Shaun Knapp
on Mar 6, 2017 at 9:25:15 pm

I am using an old version. I need to update. Admittedly, that seems ridiculous that I've not done so. I had a few years of doing little with the program before starting this big project, and decided to not "break" what isn't broken, and kept working in this version. Heck, updates on so many things bring along their own headaches, certainly with iOS devices. I could rant on that subject for a while. Unless Im forced to upgrade, I don't like to do so usually. Looks like I should do so now, and I'm prepping for it, which also means moving from OSX 10.8 to the needed 10.11 for the latest FCPx install.

Any tips on that upgrade?

Oh, the FCPx I'm currently using is: 10.0.7

And on another note, what is pushing me to upgrade is my output or finished render files have flickering, which I found concern with in this forum with a quick google search:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/final-cut-pro-x-export-problem-pulling-my-...

Return to posts index

Shaun Knapp
on Mar 6, 2017 at 9:41:23 pm

Dave Jenkins,

It is interesting that if I go now, do a fast recording, the new voiceover file is in the Original Media folder, not just as an alias, but the actual file is there. So I'm mystified as to what took place to remove all the original files I've recorded in the past month and left only aliases.

Yeah, files don't delete themselves, but something is screwy. And how is it that also appearing in this weird location of /var/folders/ on down to that T folder, as a temporary item? Two screen shots showing the duplication of the same file, in two different locations:

And here, in that folder found deep into the /var/folders/_____....

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 7, 2017 at 4:16:41 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Mar 7, 2017 at 4:17:00 pm

Ill-advised not to update- as you're missing a massive amount of new features and likely the cause of your deletion woes. Sorry we cannot be more help but we generally predicate advice on being up to date with the app.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Shaun Knapp
on Mar 7, 2017 at 6:58:17 pm

I'm going to update the app today, seems the best recourse on a number of fronts. This will require updating the OS as well.

I hope I can have a proper backup, as I'm in the middle of a project with nearly 400 instructional videos that need to be output. It would be a disaster to upgrade and have something major go wrong with all those timelines.

I am buying another hard drive today to make a clean backup of this project. Any tips that anyone would have me be aware of on doing this backup and making the upgrade?

I sure appreciate all the good help you guys offer here on this forum. So cool of you.

Return to posts index

Shaun Knapp
on Mar 8, 2017 at 12:32:38 pm

Well, as I backup events and libraries to external hard drives preparing to upgrade, FCPX freezes, has to be force quit and re-opened, and then this strange message pops up. Good heavens. It's not talking about the root or boot drive as a place of storage? I'm too tired to really cognate this one right now, plenty that is screwy going on.

Maybe I can blame Russian hacking or NSA surveillance, CIA, or FBI meddling? Lol.

Of course, MSNBC even reported in 2003, a story that was rapidly buried, of the FBI asserting itself with passage of the Patriot Act with their treasonous "Project Magic Lantern," which was to inject anyones computer with key-logging software. Sicko dems and repubs back this kind of nonsense whenever "their" folks are in the White House and or Congress. (If only I were someone worthy to target and have meddling going on my machine, right?)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]