FORUMS: list search recent posts

Annoying skimmer action bug

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Morache
Annoying skimmer action bug
on Mar 3, 2017 at 5:09:23 am

I'm getting frustrated with the skimmer jumping off the screen in the browser.

I often deal with long clips - 30 - 60 minutes long.

I want to skim around the clip to find a shot to edit into the timeline, and frequently the skimmer jumps to another part of the clip that's scrolled off the screen.

Try this. Click part of a long clip to place the white playhead onto it, then scroll that part of the long clip off the screen so you're looking at another part of the clip. Don't click on the different part of the clip but skim over any part of the clip now visible in the browser, and if you skim vertically, moving from one line of the filmstrip to another, the browser will suddenly jump back to reveal the part of the clip with the white playhead, instantly scrolling the part of the clip you were just looking at straight off the screen.

It's like the browser keeps wanting to jump back to where the white playhead is. I can click the clip I'm looking at to move the white playhead, but the whole point of the skimmer is so I don't need to click or hit play. This is driving me crazy.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a setting I'm missing? Is there a workaround? I don't remember this happening in previous versions of FCP, or was it always there?

Thanks in advance.

-Mark

---------

Mark Morache
Evening Magazine, Seattle, WA

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Annoying skimmer action bug
on Mar 4, 2017 at 1:05:13 am

Haven't seen it but will keep an eye out.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

duncan shepherd
Re: Annoying skimmer action bug
on Mar 22, 2017 at 8:32:05 pm

I get this all the time.

Do not know why.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
Re: Super Annoying skimmer bug
on Mar 22, 2017 at 8:45:44 pm

Yes! It's not just me.
Maybe other people aren't using long clips in the browser, but my clips can be 45 minutes or more, and my skimmer is always jumping uncontrolled as I try to skim in the browser.

The only way I've found to get around it is as I'm skimming, once I've started skimming a section, before I move the skimmer vertically I click on the clip to move the playhead. The browser wants to jump to the playhead as you're skimming vertically across the same clip.

I love the skimmer, however this makes it extremely difficult to take advantage of it's functionality.

-Mark

---------

Mark Morache

Return to posts index

duncan shepherd
on Mar 22, 2017 at 9:03:01 pm

I'm using a 5 hr clip.

The problem only occurs when moving the pointer UP (triggering a Skimmer Info panel ), OR if I allow the pointer to hit the grey BG of the browser to the side. Traveling vertically DOWN seems to be OK.

I think I have a temp fix, turn off "Skimmer Info", as it seems to be taking focus from the clip skimming task, and DO NOT let the pointer wander across the Grey.

In drop down menu

VIEW/
Browser/
Skimmer Info.

Uncheck that. Let me know if it works for you.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Mar 22, 2017 at 9:07:52 pm

Oh my gosh Duncan, that seems to work.

I shut off the skimmer info, and it's not jumping around. How did you figure that out?!?

Yes, it was only jumping when I skimmed up, not down. I'm just going to keep my skimmer info off, but memorize the keystroke to turn it back on when I need it.

Thanks for the tip!

-Mark

---------

Mark Morache

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Mar 23, 2017 at 1:40:28 pm

Beautiful! This has been bugging me for awhile now... Thanks Duncan.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]