FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro X Advanced Mask Transitioning

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zade Cross
Final Cut Pro X Advanced Mask Transitioning
on Feb 25, 2017 at 4:27:10 pm

Hi Guys, I'm new around here!
I thought I'd sign up to join a final cut pro x community as I've been using it alot recently.

I've been working on masking transitions to create seamless videos and I saw the video below where they have a transition from a shot to it being inside a TV screen to then moving out into another shot (As if the first shot was within the TV screen) See below video.

Its the transition at 16 seconds. Does anyone know how I can emulate this? Would you add the text to the TV screen on the second video and then zoom in and add key frames to slowly zoom out? I cant work out has its been done.

Would this be possible to do in FCPX?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Final Cut Pro X Advanced Mask Transitioning
on Feb 25, 2017 at 4:54:17 pm

Not with FCPX alone but easily with-

https://coremelt.com/products/trackx-powered-by-mocha

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Zade Cross
on Feb 25, 2017 at 4:56:15 pm

Hi Noah
I actually have trackX and I've used it for perspective text and logo tracking.
The thing I cant get my head around is the transitioning between the both the clips, how would this work?
How do you go seamlessly between both of the shots with the camera movement.. im puzzled

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 25, 2017 at 10:30:06 pm

it's a pretty simple track n mask
you track the content of the tv to the image of the tv.

as to the specifics of doing it in FCPX.. ?

nick

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 26, 2017 at 6:25:16 pm

Zade,

One aspect of this to consider is the production schedule.

You can't have shot A reveal shot B unless you shoot B "before" you shoot A.

You have to shoot out of sequence.

So part of the planning is to storyboard everything in advance - then if you want such a seamless transition - you would need to have the scene you're transitioning TO in the can before you shoot the scene you're transitioning from - AND you have to shoot it with enough time to not just show the scene, but to have seamless content available to show during the entire "run up" to the transition point - and, of course, afterwards with enough "tail" to get you to the next transition point.

This is why planning is always critical to video production. You have to plan your shoot - then shoot the plan for the best chance of success.

Hope that helps you understand the thinking a bit.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 26, 2017 at 9:59:23 pm

"You can't have shot A reveal shot B unless you shoot B "before" you shoot A.
You have to shoot out of sequence."

nonsense.
this would have been true if the shot was to be completed WITHOUT compositing,
but in the example presented, the shots could have been done in any order.
as long as you've planned it well, as you point out.

nick

Return to posts index

Zade Cross
on Feb 27, 2017 at 8:21:07 am

Thanks to everyone from your help so far. I've since tested the passing object masking transition (Used further along in the video) and this appears to be fine. I understand that you need to have enough extra footage (before and if your doing another transition at the end), similar to a long dissolve between the shots. So as the object passes you dont run out of footage and your 'center point' of footage is where you want it to be after the transition.

Another question I have in regards to the TV shot is when you are filming the TV. Do you actually need to place a green screen on the TV before filming it? I've got the trackX software but I'm not sure how well this would track the TV screen from FULL screen (close up) to pulling backwards. Or could I simply get a green colour played on the screen? Also would I need to use markers? or would a green screen be ok on its own?

Do you recommend the BEST way of tackling the shot is to film close up to the TV (with a green screen) then back up slowly with the camera to reveal the second shot?

Bill - I do appreciate for sure that planning/storyboarding is key, but I would like to understand from a technical perspective how to achieve the shot before I begin to plan it out. I dont know about you but that is just how my brain tends to work...

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Feb 27, 2017 at 9:16:13 am

As Nick said, just keyframe the distort parameter (plus position).

In case you use trackX, you'll get a proper result easier and faster. The result for sure will be better as shown in the example.

Regarding planning: in this case it doesn't when where the involved clips are shot. There is no special relation between them.

Technical aspects:
green, blue monitors can help, but I personally wouldn't use it in this case. If the track wouldn't fit 100% the red, green back could 'flicker' behind or when keyed out a black ones.
Use a black screen: you can track it and keep as separate layer to add realistic reflections later (color mode: lighten)
In your case track backwards.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 27, 2017 at 10:09:55 am

in general TVs are very easy to track as they have quite defined corners

as Andreas paints out, a black, or blank screen also gives you the reflections to use, which can be handy.
on a recent show i did, they had a green source that they played onto the TV. seemed to work, and you still get the stronger reflections.
a couple of shots had actors moving rather close to the TV, and picking up green spill,
so they had alternate screen which was mostly black, with some green blocks in the corners and the middles of the edges

in the example you posted, however, there's a head that goes in front of the TV,
so maybe green or blue would be best in that case?

nick

Return to posts index

Zade Cross
on Feb 27, 2017 at 10:29:47 am

Hi Nick,
To simplify this I may try to keep the TV screen clear of anyone just to keep this easier.
I will see if I can download a colour for the TV and do some testing with both green/black screens.
I'll firstly try and use trackX to see what the results are like. So to re-cap:

1. Shoot the first scene, take note of length of scene and at which point you want to begin pulling back
2. Position the camera for second scene with the screen in fullshot (So you cannot notice it is inside a TV)
3. Keep camera stationary before beginning to pan backwards to allow first scene to play within TV.
5. Begin panning back using trackX to track the perspective / TV screen.

Let me know if you think this is the correct way to tackle this, thanks again for everyones help.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 27, 2017 at 8:54:36 pm

"2. Position the camera for second scene with the screen in fullshot (So you cannot notice it is inside a TV)"

this will be a problem as you'll lose your tracking references
(unless you have some within the borders of the screen)

i would start the shot with the edges of the tv on screen,
then do a blow up in post for the first small portion of the shot

nick

Return to posts index

Zade Cross
on Feb 27, 2017 at 10:12:25 am

Ahhh I think I understand, so without using trackX in final cut pro x you could just create a mask around the TV with the other shot showing in the mask and as you pull out you basically move the position of the mask and scale of the shot inside the TV.

Or just use trackx and let that do the work for you, I will try and do some testing and let you know how I get on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]