FORUMS: list search recent posts

Did AME kill my hard drive?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Withers
Did AME kill my hard drive?
on Feb 24, 2017 at 8:17:03 pm

Cross posted to AME forum.
I was trying to transcode too many .mp4 files from a Sony camera at once to ProRes and repeatedly crashed AME. Now I can't open the external hard drive in finder at all. I can Get Info but finder won't open the drive from the desktop or finder. First it wouldn't open the specific folder, now the whole drive.
The Finder gives me an error message about reopening windows but it doesn't care if I say yes or no.
Aii. Thanks for any help.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Did AME kill my hard drive?
on Feb 24, 2017 at 8:42:16 pm

Sounds like the hard drive was in the process of failing and has finally given up the ghost. Probably why AME was crashing.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Feb 24, 2017 at 9:05:01 pm

Thanks, Jeff. How would I know the hard drive has failed? Just from this finder click failure? It shows up on the desktop and in Finder if I don't click on it. I can repair permissions. In fact, I can see and open folders within the drive in Finder if I click on another drive first except for the folder I was trying to work on in the AME.
Is there a test for a failed hard drive? It's this open or open folder function that fails. Fortunately it's backed up.
Thanks,
R

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Feb 24, 2017 at 9:22:05 pm

Sounds like just the file system has corrupted but that's often the first symptom of a failing hard drive. Software has gone to read/write some data and because of a failure on the surface of the disk, it couldn't.

Other first signs are accessing the disk being slow, the disk being reluctant to show up in the Finder, and software mysteriously crashing while using the drive.

You could try something like Disk Warrior to repair the drive but anything you do will run a risk of losing the data. It's always wise to make a clone of the disk first. Whatever you try, I'd copy everything I can still access to another hard drive asap.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]