FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bunch of quick "is it possible to?" questions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Fya
Bunch of quick "is it possible to?" questions
on Feb 22, 2017 at 12:53:48 am

Just a quick bunch of questions I have in my mind for some time now to answer by either "yes + how" or "no".
It's not a matter to explain/understand/debate about why I would want to do this or that. I understand that it might not be relevant to everyone. I just want to gather as many answers as possible if it may be of some use to anyone.
Many thanks. Cheers !

1. Is there a way to solo a VIDEO clip? (Not its audio) I feel the skimmer is not enough when you want to play at actual speed a buried clip on the timeline. I feel solo should solo audio AND video of selected clip.
2. Is it possible to copy a range from the timeline and paste (overwrite or insert) it at the skimmer's position (be it in a secondary storyline or somewhere else) ? [from another of my threads, I suspect it's not possible]
3. Is it possible to drag n drop a range from the timeline on top of another clip and "replace from start" (like it works from the browser) ? [from another of my threads, I suspect it's not possible]
4. Is there a way to move the range selection itself to upper/lower clips to move the selection somewhere else and keep it at the same length?
5. Is there a keyboard shortcut to move clips up/down to rearrange/shuffle them vertically?
6. Is there a keyboard shortcut to enable/disable all audio channels (or anyone of them: nº1, nº2, …) of the selected clips without digging into the inspector?
7. Is there a keyboard shortcut to change the viewer’s size to “fit”?
8. Is there a keyboard shortcut to move a selected connected clip to the playhead’s position? (+Option for backtiming ?)
9. Is there a keyboard shortcut to move the playhead at the skimmer’s position ?
10. Is there a keyboard shortcut to select the clip you just pasted/connected/insterted ?
11. Is there a way to roll 2 adjacent 2SL ?

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Bunch of quick "is it possible to?" questions
on Feb 22, 2017 at 3:11:47 am

[Ron Fya] "1. Is there a way to solo a VIDEO clip? (Not its audio) I feel the skimmer is not enough when you want to play at actual speed a buried clip on the timeline. I feel solo should solo audio AND video of selected clip."

No.

[Ron Fya] "2. Is it possible to copy a range from the timeline and paste (overwrite or insert) it at the skimmer's position (be it in a secondary storyline or somewhere else) ? [from another of my threads, I suspect it's not possible]"

Yes. Select your range, Cmd+C, then either Cmd+V to paste it into the primary at the skimmer position or Option+V to paste it as a connected clip. Limitation - you can only range select one clip. So you can't range select half of a clip in the primary and two connected clips and copy/paste those. You have to select the entire clip in the primary and two connected clips. I understand what you want to do if you're in a track based system, and it can't be replicated in FCPX.

[Ron Fya] "3. Is it possible to drag n drop a range from the timeline on top of another clip and "replace from start" (like it works from the browser) ? [from another of my threads, I suspect it's not possible]"

I don't think so. Match frame and replace from start from the browser. Sorry.

[Ron Fya] "4. Is there a way to move the range selection itself to upper/lower clips to move the selection somewhere else and keep it at the same length?"

No. You can move up and down an entire clip selection, but not a range.

[Ron Fya] "5. Is there a keyboard shortcut to move clips up/down to rearrange/shuffle them vertically?"

No.

[Ron Fya] "6. Is there a keyboard shortcut to enable/disable all audio channels (or anyone of them: nº1, nº2, …) of the selected clips without digging into the inspector?"

No, I don't think so. I hope I'm proven wrong here.

[Ron Fya] "7. Is there a keyboard shortcut to change the viewer’s size to “fit”?"

No.

[Ron Fya] "8. Is there a keyboard shortcut to move a selected connected clip to the playhead’s position? (+Option for backtiming ?)"

Cut and paste it. I don't think you can cut/paste backtimed though.

[Ron Fya] "9. Is there a keyboard shortcut to move the playhead at the skimmer’s position ?"

Click the timeline where the skimmer is and the playhead moves to it. Is that what you're wanting?

[Ron Fya] "10. Is there a keyboard shortcut to select the clip you just pasted/connected/insterted ?"

Not directly. If you just pasted/inserted it into the primary just go back one frame and hit C to select it. If you pasted/inserted it as a connected clip, map your keyboard to 'Extend selection up" or "Extend selection down", then insert/paste it, step back one frame, hit C, then use your new "Extend selection up/down" to select it. Or hover the mouse over it and hit C - it will select whatever your mouse pointer is on.

[Ron Fya] "11. Is there a way to roll 2 adjacent 2SL ?"

2SL? Do you mean roll two connected clips or something? No - you can only roll one clip at a time. Trimming in FCPX is pretty abysmal in this regard.

I may be wrong on some of these, but I don't think I am.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Ron Fya
on Feb 22, 2017 at 10:47:22 am

First thank you guys for trying to answer those questions. I'll try to clarify a bit.

Hey guys,

Just a quick bunch of questions I have in my mind for some time now to answer by either "yes + how" or "no".
It's not a matter to explain/understand/debate about why I would want to do this or that. I understand that it might not be relevant to everyone. I just want to gather as many answers as possible if it may be of some use to anyone.
Many thanks. Cheers !

--> seems impossible indeed. Too bad ☹

--> I rephrase my question:
Is it possible to copy a range from the timeline and paste (overwrite or insert) it at the mouse/skimmer's VERTICAL position (be it in a secondary storyline, BELOW or ABOVE some already placed clips or somewhere else) ?

3, 4, 5
--> seems impossible indeed.

--> so far seems impossible indeed but it would be great because having a keyboard shortcut to enable/disable all audio channels (or anyone of them: nº1, nº2, …) of the selected clips in the INSPECTOR without digging into it would allow (for the clips you do it) to make the audio completely disappear from the timeline should you expand all the clips components to mix your project. Contrary to all other methods of "just" muting sound.

7. Actually someone answered that on another forum. It is possible to resize the viewer window by clicking on it and use shift+Z like you would do in the timeline. That also works in the browser in filmstrip mode.

8. the problem with cut & paste as Michael Hancock suggested, is if your timeline gets crowded, it pastes the clip on top of every other which is not something you always want. I understand though that this is something that makes more sens in a track based NLE rather than with FCPX magnetic timeline (which I loooove).

9. I admit that the question was a bit keyboard shortcut geeky oriented 😃

10. Forget that one. I was talking about connected clips and my reasoning was:
If I want to select it right away after dropping it in the timeline it is because FCPX does not center the timeline's view on it vertically and horizontally just after you placed it in the TL. But quite often, just after you placed it, you want to edit it. So having a quick keyboard shortcut to center the view on it would be great.
BUT somehow, when I noticed that re-centering no happening, I had some audio lanes opened. And in that case FCPX does not recenter the view on the clip you just connected whereas it does indeed recenter the view if audio lanes are collapsed So all good here 😃

11. Sorry. 2SL= secondary StoryLine. But I think it is not possible even tough you can do it with 2 adjacent connected clips.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Feb 22, 2017 at 3:36:12 am

[Ron Fya] "6. Is there a keyboard shortcut to enable/disable all audio channels (or anyone of them: nº1, nº2, …) of the selected clips without digging into the inspector?"

No, but you can do it quickly by turning off the appropriate role in the timeline index.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Feb 22, 2017 at 3:46:05 am

[Jeff Kirkland] "No, but you can do it quickly by turning off the appropriate role in the timeline index."

Provided the selected clips all have the same role assigned, and that the non-selected clips don't have the same role assigned. Otherwise you'll end up muting a bunch of clips you don't intend to mute.

If I want to remove all audio channels from a clip I just match frame, Shift+2 (Video Only), then Replace from Start to quickly recut the clip back in without audio. If I need the audio back I just match frame, Shift+1, Replace from Start. Pretty fast, and all keyboard driven.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Feb 22, 2017 at 3:49:23 am

If you're thinking of roles as channels that you would, and should, be assigning those roles in the browser as part of your pre-edit prep.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Ron Fya
on Feb 22, 2017 at 10:52:04 am

[Michael Hancock]
If I want to remove all audio channels from a clip I just match frame, Shift+2 (Video Only), then Replace from Start to quickly recut the clip back in without audio. If I need the audio back I just match frame, Shift+1, Replace from Start. Pretty fast, and all keyboard driven.

I learned only a few days ago about shift+2. Very handy indeed especially if you do it before dropping clips in the TL and if you want to deactivate ALL audio channels. Not just some.

Good reminder. Thanks ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]